DANBURY MINT 1964 BUICK RIVIERA

Terry Wiegand

I got an announcement in the mail yesterday from Danbury Mint offering a 1/18 scale 1957 Oldsmobile Super 88 Two Door Hardtop.  I have a very extensive collection of their die-cast automobiles.  They stopped production several years ago and I had to call them and see if they were getting back into them.  The lady said No, not at this time.  She told me that I should visit their website for what is currently available.  I did and there is a beautiful 1/18 scale, 1964 Buick Riviera.  The price is $149.00 plus $9.00 shipping.  I have one coming my way as I am writing this.  Anyone who knows anything about die-cast models knows that Danbury Mint was the Rolls Royce of die-cast.  That Riviera is absolutely stunning.  It will go well with the other Buicks in the collection.  Thought you guys might like to know about this.  Ed, I think there is one with your name on it waiting for you.

Terry Wiegand

Out in Rain Drenched Doo Dah

Thanks but no thanks.  I'm not fond of 1:43 scale cars.  It seems that most of the time there are problems getting small stuff like wipers, door handles, etc. to the proper scale.  Besides, I have four of the 1:18 Hi way 61 '64 Rivieras already. Only so much heavy room in the display case. ?

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks for the 'heads up' Terry - Danbury and Franklin are very good sources for quality die cast models !

. . . some collectors prefer 1:43 scale Ed - a big advantage is they don't take as much space to display compared to larger 1:18 scale models !

Usually the fine details and small parts are reasonably close to scale on high quality 1:43 die cast cars like Minichamps, 

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Ed, that car is a 1/18 scale according to the website. I have a 65, my Dad had a Midnight Blue 65, and that model is as close to a copy of his as I have found. I wish somebody would do a 65 in that color and size, but I may just have to get one of these coming!