Removing 39 straight eight

Guest Jamie g

Guest Jamie g

I recently got my father 1939 Buick. It's been sitting since 1982 in their basement garage. I took front clip off and all the things bolted on engine. Just needed more info do I pull the head off also it use the head  bolt to lift with. I tried to remove the bolts but to long to clear. Next question is what does everyone do stay 6 volt or change to 12. This is my first time to group thanks in advance

5 hours ago, Jamie g said:

I recently got my father 1939 Buick. It's been sitting since 1982 in their basement garage. I took front clip off and all the things bolted on engine. Just needed more info do I pull the head off also it use the head  bolt to lift with. I tried to remove the bolts but to long to clear. Next question is what does everyone do stay 6 volt or change to 12. This is my first time to group thanks in advance

Welcome to the world of '39 Buicks

Keep it 6 volt

This may interest you http://forums.aaca.org/topic/140459-1939-buick-special-restoration/

Here's how I pulled the motor.  I removed the front clip for painting, but I cannot imagine lifting that block over the front sheet metal.  I removed most everything, but left the head on so the long  bolts had support throughout their length.   Rocker arm off, head on.  

If you get a minute, check out my ongoing thread:  "1937 Model 48 Restoration has begun (photo)...." Engine removal on page one.   Good Luck!

IMG_8408.jpg.3947b5a66725d111563eb8a357136ef2.thumb.jpg.77c2b6cd27f9d3cc2d3015b74a68ec29.jpg

Engine coming out

DSC_0129.thumb.jpg.6440eced1229b68eb7fad8bf85914aeb.thumb.jpg.c36fe207155f7494302902ba57b955c4.jpg

Suspended and then rolled the chassis under

DSC_0133.thumb.jpg.2baa10519c05ddcf0a4004c8834a335a.jpg.274851e324ea392c23b6d68211b3c02c.jpg

Slowly drop her in position

Gary 

NJ

7 hours ago, Jamie g said:

Welcome to our world!

Why are you pulling the engine? With the head off, I use shorter bolts to lift with. Always afraid of bending the long head bolt. Head on, use the head bolts.

Six volts will work well if twelve are not needed for something, such as AC.  Just be sure to use large enough cables.  

Come to the Me and MY Buick thread and show us what you have.

Ben

• Like 1

Guest Jamie g

In pulling the engine cause it's in bad shape. My dad said it was running very good when parked in 1983 or 82. So I'm taking it to a guy that's has done a bunch of straight 8s. I want to make it a nice driver so my dad can enjoy driving it like never before.  I have tried to add pictures but it won't let me. Does anyone rebuild their suspension or buy new. What's the best parts places to get parts. My car is in very good shape and complete original. Gonna do a barn find style build. I can't wait to drive I get excited about hearing it start for the first time in 30+ years. I rode to elementary school in this car growing up. Thanks for all yalls help. 

http://bobsautomobilia.com/ is good to deal with

Download the 1942 Shop manual from http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/

Is very comprehensive with detail that is applicable to mid-late 1930's and later straight 8's.  

Edit 1

Link here (it not as easy to find as it once was) 

http://oldcarblog.com/manuals/1942/Buick shop manual/index.html

Edit 2

Thanks Mr Moderator for moving to a separate thread

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Jamie g,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Your initial post was a response to an old discussion regarding a 1937 Buick. Since there are differences between the front clip on the two years, I have separated this into a new topic to hopefully make it a bit more likely that the 1939 Buick experts will see it. 

Welcome to the world of 1939 Buicks.  The engine in the pictures is not a 1939 Buick engine.  There is no oil filler in the sidepan of a '39 Buick engine.  I hope it is somebody's example to show you how to do it.  Read the book very, very carefully when you reinstall it.  The universal joint is back at the x-member (1939 only) and there are exact instructions in the manual about keeping the engine in direct line with the rear end when reinstalling it.