41 Gauge Question

neil morse

The temp/ammeter gauge on my "new" 41 Super is badly damaged from 76 years of too much sun.  Any ideas on the best approach to fix this?  The gauges themselves still work as far as I can tell.  The ammeter definitely works, although I had to tap it a few times since the needle was hung up on the distorted plastic faceplate.  The temp gauge begins to move as the car warms up, but then gets pinned for the same reason.

Will I have to find another unit and just replace the whole thing?  Or does someone make reproduction plastic parts that could be used to rebuild my present unit?  Any help would be most appreciated!

Temp_Ammeter.jpg

Thanks so much, Dave.  As long as we are on the topic of gauges, I might as well ask my next question.  The fuel/oil pressure gauge is in perfect cosmetic shape, even though it is only about an extra foot away from the sun coming in the window.  But the fuel gauge is in permanent "optimist" position, not only is the glass half full, it's all the way full, all the time.  As soon as I turn on the ignition, the needle pops to the full position, and doesn't move regardless of how much gas is actually in the tank.  I assume this is an issue with the sending unit, correct?  I have a shop manual on order, and once I get it I'm hoping I can find the answer to more of my questions without leaning on you guys too much!

IMG_1510.JPG

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

The temp/ammeter gauge on my "new" 41 Super is badly damaged from 76 years of too much sun.  Any ideas on the best approach to fix this?  The gauges themselves still work as far as I can tell.  The ammeter definitely works, although I had to tap it a few times since the needle was hung up on the distorted plastic faceplate.  The temp gauge begins to move as the car warms up, but then gets pinned for the same reason.

Will I have to find another unit and just replace the whole thing?  Or does someone make reproduction plastic parts that could be used to rebuild my present unit?  Any help would be most appreciated!

Temp_Ammeter.jpg

Find contact info for Skip Boyer,  Pennsylvania, he makes reproduction plastics for these Buick gauges. When you remove the gauge panel the gauges remove form the back. The chrome surround just has small sections of the light metal crimped over on the back to hold the gauge  together, which is easily straightened to remove the gauge face

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Neil,

Re the gas gage, first thing to do is make sure there is a good ground from the sending unit to the frame.

If you need to make one use at least 10 gage wire.

6 volt systems need BIG wires.

Mike in Colorado

Thanks, that's good to know.  I am actually awaiting my first order from Bob's (a new gas pedal) and looking forward to receiving the catalog.  Seems like a great place for Buick owners!

5 hours ago, neil morse said:

Thanks, that's good to know.  I am actually awaiting my first order from Bob's (a new gas pedal) and looking forward to receiving the catalog.  Seems like a great place for Buick owners!

You know that "Bob's" is only 3 1/2 hours south of you, up on a little hill, hidden in a 4 car garage.

Been there. Well worth the trip.........

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, FLYER15015 said:

You know that "Bob's" is only 3 1/2 hours south of you, up on a little hill, hidden in a 4 car garage.

Been there. Well worth the trip.........

Haha -- I noticed Bob's address.  I'm not sure my Super would make the drive!