65 Antenna

alini

I have the power antenna in my 65, it works and only retracts with about 6-8 inches still sticking out.  But I have seen a few other 63-65s now locally and they ALL have flush mounted.   Am I missing something???   I now I have seen post about car covers and how they dont take it sticking up into account.

The manual antenna sticks up even further. You are right about the car covers. The cover should come with self adhesive circular reinforcing patches so that you can cut a small hole into the car cover so that the cover can slip over the antenna mast. It is loads of fun trying to figure out where you should make the hole in the cover.

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

I cut an X in a tennis ball and slip it over the antenna. Don't like having holes in the cover, they're to keep stuff out, not have passage ways cut into them so stuff can get in.

The patch only has a hole in it large enough for the antenna. I only cut a hole large enough in the cover for the antenna to fit through. I suppose there is a possibility a few pieces of dust can filter through the 1/8" gap around the antenna base. If one was overly concerned about dust infiltration you can cover the gap. I have never found it to be a problem. I have stored cars without cutting the antenna hole as well. The cover on that side of the car rides up on that side exposing a large section of the car. Choose your poison. I prefer to keep the side of the car completely covered. I did not have this problem with my other cars as I could just unscrew the antenna mast so the cover could sit flush.

IMG_2569.thumb.JPG.db3c15eb7d4f96b0bd6254d917da3ee4.JPGIMG_2570.thumb.JPG.b428aa53bdbac759b5b01e8657b73d97.JPG

• Like 1

My sister-in-law used to sew car covers, among other industrial covers, for a living. I remember she told me for some applications she would sew in a pocket for the antenna if required.

That might be something you could look into?

• Like 1