delco choke parts or replace carb 1937 Buick 40

Guest bobgould

Guest bobgould

I HAVE A DELCO Choke 1990001 model with a broken pull out lever spring, looking for parts or a complete unit in any condition. will consider a complete Stromberg carb in good condition to replace marvel schebler and delco setup on my 1937 Buick Special. Thanks Bob.

I have a 1938 Stromberg which is rebuilt and was on my car and works good. I don't know if a 38 is different from a 37 or not. I was keeping it in case I ever needed another one and I know they are not easy to find anymore with the choke working. I have more money than I should in it so it would not be a bargain.

5 hours ago, LAS VEGAS DAVE said:

I have a 1938 Stromberg which is rebuilt and was on my car and works good. I don't know if a 38 is different from a 37 or not. I was keeping it in case I ever needed another one and I know they are not easy to find anymore with the choke working. I have more money than I should in it so it would not be a bargain.

Dave, does your `38 carb have the starter switch in the base of the carb? If so that may be the only difference.. Tom

The  outside of the 1990001 choke looks like the 490A which it replaced. They are both stamped with their respective numbers on the same place on the covers. If memory serves me correctly there is a slight difference internally. Not sure when they came out with the newer choke. It is probably a Delco number.

Carl

If originality is not important I would do away with the vacuum switch starter and the over complicated choke like on my 38 and go with a simple carb and a manual choke and a starter button. I wanted mine to stay original as possible so I kept all the stock stuff but its not easy making everything work perfect. 

1 hour ago, LAS VEGAS DAVE said:

If originality is not important I would do away with the vacuum switch starter and the over complicated choke like on my 38 and go with a simple carb and a manual choke and a starter button. I wanted mine to stay original as possible so I kept all the stock stuff but its not easy making everything work perfect. 

Dave, I was thinking that `38 was the first year of the starter switch being in the base of the carb, its a way better designed switch than the one my `36 has which is the same as the `37, a diaphram type, which I think is the reason my flywheel ring was so chewed up. My car isn`t going to be 100% original anyways, I am changing to the button switch and going to a 12volt system. I`ve  been keeping up with your story and I`ve also got the Lloyd Young OD conversion, sure hated to hear about your battery incident. Thanks for the reply.. Tom

Tom, glad to hear you also have the overdrive, its a big upgrade for these cars. The button starter is foolproof and in my opinion much better than any of the Buick gas pedal set ups. You should be able to find a simple Stromberg carb with a cable operated choke that will bolt directly to your manifold without spending a fortune.

The 38 carbs are pricey and also finicky. The later straight eight carbs should work. Dave Tachney should know what carb would be good for you and might have one. I have always had modified cars in the past and they run better and are easier to keep running. I like the original cars but its a challenge to keep them that way and

in the end they are not as drivable as one that takes advantage of the upgrades that are available today. The dent got fixed and all is well again and we are back to just driving the car.   Dave