MEA Magneto, what does it fit?

DavidMc

Thanks for that, I have found general references regarding the use of these magnetos is early cars and planes, I had not found the marine use.  I am hoping that someone can identify specific cars (or boats & planes) that used this magneto.   My Dykes has a brief section on MEA but it does not state what vehicles  used it.  It appears to be a very well made unit and may have been in high end cars.  

• 4 weeks later...
Guest alan hollyfield

Hi David, Ive just joined this forum after viewing the pics of your Mea Magneto, I have recently bought a bk4 and abk6 models. the bk4 is the correct magneto for the 1912 Siddeley Deasy car I am restoring and the bk6 ,because it was cheep and won it on ebay .

both from U.S.A. ( I live in Adelaide . Aust )  The bk4 and the bk6 are for medium sized engines ( 4 and 6 cyl )  and your bh4 is for large 4 cyl engines. Google full size jds siddeley deasy in the Powerhouse Museum . they have an engine there that has the Magneto

on it, a bk4,. Also the White Brothers Aircraft engine used one of these magnetos, I think also a bk4.................hope this helps               Alan

Alan,  

Many thanks for that information and the picture on the Powerhouse Museum.  Hopefully others will advise of more applications for the MEA magneto.

Its an interesting unit in that it maintains optimum spark intensity over the full range of advance and retard.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That could explain why I can't find many (or any) cars that had it fitted originally.  I have found that the MEA magnetos were fitted to some planes.  The usual magnetos have maximum spark current at a one advance or retard setting.  The MEA has maximum at any setting due to its rocking cradle design.  

• 6 months later...