First vehicle with adaptive headlights?

Frantz

A few years ago when some modern companies starting touting their genius with lights that turn when you steer I remembered the attempt by Tucker to put that into production back in 1948. But I just came across a company that did it at least as early as 1905. The Upton touring car from Lebanon Pa. So was that the first? It's a pretty simple idea so I can imagine someone else using it. Upton itself seems to be a continuation of an earlier Massachusetts car by the same name. I don't have a complete history of the company yet (just came across it tonight while trying to figure out why my region's newsletter was called "Upton News".

4d904ee26e56f7697f3521bc1b38a9e9.jpg

It does seem that the Mass company did use the lights too, so 1904 or prior for Upton...

Perhaps these were Gray & Davis lamps made in Amesbury Mass, just sorta piecing things together. Browsing through a Oct 1905 copy of Motor that has an Upton ad, and later has an ad for these lights that have an uncanny similarity. Also, it seems they hadn't quite heard about the Write brothers yet as they are still talking about Langley. I've read about that taking awhile to be known, but it's interesting reading actual articles nearly 2 years after the 1903 flights... okay, sorry, I'm hijacking my own thread and no one else has even responded yet!

Edited by Frantz (see edit history)

It's on my list of local interest projects. Several internet sources say they do, but I have yet to find an advertisement expressing so. All it takes is one person to say it and then others echo the "facts". I'm sure glad we don't have that happen in modern news!

Suspect the first was a guy walking in front of the automobile with a lantern.

For a while GM had "cornering lights" that came on with the turn signals. Today too many people drive with their fog lights on but they do help see the sides.

I'm gonna have to see what I can dig up at the library as there just isn't much on the internet that's easy to find. I was hoping to go to the Boyertown museum today while I was in Berks Co, but found they are closed for a few weeks for some upgrades. 

There was this AUBURN at the 2016 Grand National Meet in Williamsport that is in my YouTube Video that I filmed. It's at the 22.31 minute mark The Auburn looks like it has Adaptive Auxiliary Head Lights. Not sure of the year, 1920's I think. If I did this right the Video should start at the point of viewing the Auburn. If not just slide the time bar up to the 22.30 mark, or if you have nothing better to do enjoy watching the entire Grand National Video.  I got most of the 500+ cars in it before the rain came.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7fxU3HkuSU