1935 Dodge help needed

Guest 21avery

Guest 21avery

New member here .I have a 35 dodge  coupe .Sorry no  pictures yet .  What I would like to  do is  put  some side mount  spare tires  in the  fenders  I  just love the look .What i need is some one with  original  side mounts spares 35 or 36 that will  take some measurements and pictures  for me   of the well , tub   .I need to  know were it starts on the bottom, how  long  ,how  wide,  how  deep, etc For I can  cut the hole in the right place . I  found  some  original  mounts that hold the tire in the well . So I also  need some measurement  were  it  goes in the  body on the top  and were it  goes threw the fender at the bottom . Any  help that I can  get would be greatly appreciated . Thank  you in advance Scott    

I would suggest that if you are serious, to look for a set of original welled fenders. You'll also need the tire covers, wheel support mounting brackets, wheel supports and hardware. This could prove to be an expensive adaptation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jpage said:

I would suggest that if you are serious, to look for a set of original welled fenders. You'll also need the tire covers, wheel support mounting brackets, wheel supports and hardware. This could prove to be an expensive adaptation.

I agree.

Guest 21avery
4 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I agree.

Serious  yes .  rich  not . your talking a lot  of money .have the  wheel supports , tubs , and fenders   .about $20  into  it .  your way what ? over $1000

10 minutes ago, 21avery said:

Serious  yes .  rich  not . your talking a lot  of money .have the  wheel supports , tubs , and fenders   .about $20  into  it .  your way what ? over $1000

You can go ahead and put tire troughs in, but you will still need a lot of specialty parts that a lot of folks are not giving up or are just darn hard to find. Fabricating those parts will certainly raise the cost. Those underlying supports and rods are not cheap to make. They are structural and without them, the fenders will sag. We are not trying to poo-poo the idea....just trying to save you some grief.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest 21avery
7 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

You can go ahead and put tire troughs in, but you will still need a lot of specialty parts that a lot of folks are not giving up or are just darn hard to find. Fabricating those parts will certainly raise the cost. Those underlying supports and rods are not cheap to make. They are structural and without them, the fenders will sag. We are not trying to poo-poo the idea....just trying to save you some grief.

I mentioned   twice  that I  have  all the  original   mount  parts  that hold the  tire  in the well  the  rods   and supports  etc . I   bought  2  wells at a swap  for  $20  . and  have  the fenders .   just  need the tire covers .I can  run it with out  them  for now . you   don't understand I am not  rich . If I  was I  would  go your route. If  those parts are even available.  

1 hour ago, 21avery said:

I mentioned   twice  that I  have  all the  original   mount  parts  that hold the  tire  in the well  the  rods   and supports  etc . I   bought  2  wells at a swap  for  $20  . and  have  the fenders .   just  need the tire covers .I can  run it with out  them  for now . you   don't understand I am not  rich . If I  was I  would  go your route. If  those parts are even available.  

I see that you mentioned that you have the mounting parts, now that I have read your request closer. Sorry. You might also contact someone on this site with a 1935 or 1936 DB for measurements.

http://www.chryslerclub.org/

According to my build sheet records, a set of 5 wheels with one fender mount was $6.75. A set of 6 wheels, 2 fender wells and an extra tire cover was $40.00.Chrome wheels could be had for $30 for the set of 5 and $36 for 6 wheels. The Deluxe Accessory group, which included 2 horns, extra tailamp,dual wipers, dual interior visors and a cigar lighter was $17.50. Special paint schemes cloud be had for an extra $30.00 . A Dodge-Philco radio was a $49.50 option. Not much by today's standards, but a lot of money during the depression in 1936! It's kind of amazing that they managed to sell as many cars as they did!

• Like 2