LED tail light bulbs

Spinneyhill

I have an idea I would like to replace the incandescent 18/5 W, BA15D, 6V positive earth bulbs with LED bulbs. BA15D = dual filament with opposite pins (offset pins = BAY15D).

Direct plug-ins are available.... for negative earth. Some say they are 400 lumens, whereas the 18W bulb is probably barely half that.

I want the same look and feel (i.e. no multi-lights such as sold by The Filling Station) and only brake and tail light. Indicators will be separate.

Yes it is easy to change polarity, but what if one doesn't want to do that? Are there any available for positive earth?

I am fitting LEDs to my Rover, but fortunately its a neg earth, which surprised me somewhat. I think your only option will be to isolate your light fittings completely from the chassis and run 2 wires everywhere. I was told my car was not an earth return  system, but with the dynamo having only 1 wire (charge output) it can only be neg earth - and the dynamo charges fine.

jp 26 Rover 9

Here's another way you may have not thought of if you just gotta have LEDs and can't fine them.  You can reverse the polarity of your car (if it's not a v-12 Lincoln).  Disconnect the battery then.....

1. Reverse the wires on the coil.

2 Reverse the wires on your amp meter.

3. Reverse the battery cables.  Now is a good time to tie the ground (earth) to the engine instead of the fame if not already done.

4. Re-polarize your generator.

And there you have it.  Now you can get the -ve earth bulbs you want.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beltfed said:

Here's another way you may have not thought of if you just gotta have LEDs and can't fine them.  You can reverse the polarity of your car (if it's not a v-12 Lincoln). 

Thanks for that. I don't want to modify the car in that way, just replace consumables with modern versions.

I bought LED taillight bulbs from classic and vintage bulbs several years ago for my '33 Dodge (positive ground or earth, whatever). They have worked well. They recommended and I bought red bulbs. I was told that red bulbs made the light brighter even through the red taillight lens. It sounds odd but they are indeed bright. Zeke