How Many 19** Buicks Registered Still? How to Determine

Dan O

I was driving my 1949 Buick Roadmaster convertible around Houston yesterday and wondered just how many cars like mine are still registered in town.  Do I have the only one?  How can I find out? 

Years ago a friend of mine would look for older cars by going to his county tax office and asking for a list of 1966 Jaguars registered in Dallas County, Texas where he lived.  I doubt this would work nowadays but then again...

Does anyone know how to determine the number of a certain car registered in a specific area?

I made contact with a Reatta owner that works for R.L.Polk, thru him we are able to get a count of the registered Reattas.  I try not to bug him too much and the last time I ask was about this time last year and his response was with registration

up thru Dec 2015.   Of the 21,751 total Reatta build in 4 model years,  7659 ( 35%) are registered in the US.

In addition he breaks it down by year, state, and body style.   I suspect you can get the same info from R.L.Polk for a fee, and it might be worth it.

You also need to remember the number is for registered cars,  those out behind the barn or in a museum/collection, or still in a dealers hands and never registered are not counted.

Here is an example of what we know,  for Texas

1988 = 32

1989 = 63

1990 = coupe = 77

1990 = conv = 45

1991 = coupe = 25

1991 = conv = 7

3 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

That would be really tough in Kansas. Once a car gets an antique tag, tax collection goes to the honor system. 

Up here, they're tax exempt. I dont think asking questions about other people's registration will fly up here either. When I was putting in for a lost title, even though they keep records dating back to the 30s at the state capitol, they said I wasn't allowed to request that type of information. It must have been nice in the days before computers because I'm sure they would have phoned wherever the file was and retrieved it without questions asked. 

I think with all different registration requirements state to state, province to province, it will be near impossible to find out, particularly with all the new privacy laws.  It's strange what you see though, a friend on facebook posted some "fashion" photos from another friend, and in the background was a 67 Electra 225 2-dr.  I had to message that guy to find out who the owners were and it turns out the car was in Calgary and he simply saw it in a mall parking lot!  The closest I've come to seeing my car in Vancouver, is a 67 LeSabre I accidently came across driving down a street I never go down.

On 1/14/2017 at 1:08 PM, Beemon said:

Up here, they're tax exempt. I dont think asking questions about other people's registration will fly up here either. When I was putting in for a lost title, even though they keep records dating back to the 30s at the state capitol, they said I wasn't allowed to request that type of information. It must have been nice in the days before computers because I'm sure they would have phoned wherever the file was and retrieved it without questions asked. 

Oh, Kansas would never discard an opportunity to collect taxes, but after the car is 35 years old, the revenue is small enough that it's not worth tracking.  There are records, but nobody is looking at them.

Kansas also has another stupid policy:  A friend bought a customized 1954 Studebaker back in 2004.  Even though he had the title to the 1979 Suburban that donated its drivetrain to the cause, Kansas no longer considers it a 1954 Studebaker.  Without his consent, the state chiseled off the original VIN tag, and the car is titled (and taxed) as a "2004 Kansas Manufactured Vehicle."   You'd never find his car in the Kansas system if you were looking for Studes.

1924164_1069030205553_4596_n.jpg?oh=f54c

Whatever they tell the public,  somehow companies like Polk are getting the information for all states.   We will never know if the money is going into the state treasury or someone's pocket.

I published the numbers for Texas but I also show that there are a total of 108 Reattas registered in Kansas