Beach Boy Al Jardine 1989 Avanti Convertible

Guest Richard Gallatin

Must admit I am amused by the cachet placed on cars owned by "celebrities" when for many (a few exceptions) these were appliances provided by the marketing department. Today this would be considered a "resto-mod" Camaro.

Padgett I generally agree.  Passed that along to Richard as it might be interesting to him.  I do not know what the Alice Cooper car netted, but IIRC it was not a real expensive car to begin with, I want to say in the $30K range which may or may not be a premium for that car, don't know much about Avantis.    IIRC it was a "restomod" as well, but looked largely stock - or it might just have been a continuation car with a big engine.

In general, celebrity ties don't excite me.  Of course if they are linked a real car person like Clark Gable or Gary Cooper, (actually in fairness I believe Alice Cooper is an avid Ford guy - Shelbys I think) I get it.  A friend has a 560 SL that belonged to one of the "hot" TV actresses of the 80s - her name escapes me because it really isn't that big of a deal.  He found out by chance as the car was not marketed that way, but found out in reviewing the paperwork.  Not sure it makes any difference in resale though.   

That said, if your a fan of that particular person, and a car collector as well, it could be a win win. 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

George Castanza's Jon Voight car says it all. Who cares which "celebrity" owned it.  !  LOL Of course there are exceptions such as Hitler's 770 K "grosser" in the Canadian War Museum. 

The Imperial Palace collection offered mega bucks for it but the Museum will not sell as they were afraid it would become a shrine for neo Nazis etc ! 

I agree with all of you above.

The name of the previous owner doesn't

make much difference to me.  "Celebrities"

are just ordinary people whose job is in

show business, and whose agents have tried

to focus attention on their looks, their clothes.

and an artificially glamorous lifestyle.

In reality, many celebrities must live unhappy

lives, full of divorce, alcohol, drugs, and rehabilitation.

Their money didn't buy them happiness;  it took happiness away.

They are in a class of people kindly to be pitied---