Marvel carb. on a '38?

Pete Phillips

Has anyone ever seen a Marvel downdraft carburetor on a '38 Buick Special? I have not, and a rebuild kit is not readily available. The carburetor itself is a very large, heavy thing, appears to be mostly brass. Anyone have a rebuild kit for it? The floats appear to be made by a shade-tree mechanic and look like they need replacing.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx

IMGP2435.JPG

IMGP2434.JPG

Pete - you might enjoy this article on my website:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Buick_1937_1938_carburetors.htm

Repair kits ARE available; but since virtually every part in the kit is hand-made and unique to this carburetor, the kits are ridiculous in price.

And I like your analogy to the "shade tree mechanic" that designed the floats ;)

Jon.

• Like 1

Jon,

Thanks for the info and Mark, thanks for the offer of a different carburetor. For now, I think I'm going to cut my own gaskets and cork floats, and see what this Marvel monster does. I have a block of cork that we have used in the past to make floats.  If no good, will be in touch.

Pete Phillips

Pete:

I believe that in the 1937-38 Buick service bulletins book there is a diagram and information on this Marvel monster. That was the only place I found info on my smaller Marvel BD-1.  One of our members with a 1937-40C Phaeton had one on his car. I will see what I can find.

Larry