Ready for a laugh?

victorialynn2

This thread started out on a humorous note and coming up with a little jingle that is so bad, you only need to hear it once to have the words stick in your head forever isn't all that hard to do.

Handling an estate isn't nearly as easy as writing a stupid song and handling an estate is child's play compared to taking over for the non compos mentis. To late for this situation, but preparing for the future by doing a  Living Revocable Trust today, will help to make things easier for everyone tomorrow. Start a car trust for your cars, name a trusted family member or friend that knows collector cars and specifically your cars from front to back, even if you only have one. If you've got lots of parts, do a separate parts trust, the important thing is to get it done a good five years before you need to use it  An asset in a trust is still an asset and the tax man will eventually get his cut, but should that fall in the bath tub leave you alive and really messed up, that asset in the trust doesn't have to be dealt with today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Digger914 said:

This thread started out on a humorous note and coming up with a little jingle that is so bad, you only need to hear it once to have the words stick in your head forever isn't all that hard to do.

Handling an estate isn't nearly as easy as writing a stupid song and handling an estate is child's play compared to taking over for the non compos mentis. To late for this situation, but preparing for the future by doing a  Living Revocable Trust today, will help to make things easier for everyone tomorrow. Start a car trust for your cars, name a trusted family member or friend that knows collector cars and specifically your cars from front to back, even if you only have one. If you've got lots of parts, do a separate parts trust, the important thing is to get it done a good five years before you need to use it  An asset in a trust is still an asset and the tax man will eventually get his cut, but should that fall in the bath tub leave you alive and really messed up, that asset in the trust doesn't have to be dealt with today.

Yes, good advice. I started this process immediately but dad failed too quickly to finish. There is a Medicaid look back also, (3 or 5 years they go back to look at asset transfers), but if you transfer assets early enough, and you should become disabled and need expensive care, you can protect some assets with good planning. 

It is all too detailed to go into here but basically my point is more to ask you to seek professional trust/estate planning early because you may be surprised what you find out. Dad thought he was leaving me something special, and I appreciate that, but I would have been a lot better off if he was broke. It would have allowed me to focus on him and my life and not panic about taking care of his financial and medical issues. 

Granted my situation is for someone with a small estate and dementia with what they call "tweeners". Too ill to effectively be cared for at home without full time care, but not bad enough for many insurance policies to pay for. There is a big issue with that and also proper trust, estate and medical care planning. Dementia care is an epidemic we are not prepared properly to deal with. 

The jingle was my attempt to pass a serious message on in a way that would get more attention. It's the marketing in me I guess. Without humor it's not as interesting, or palatable for that matter. Someday I hope to have the time and energy to find a more formal way to bring this problem to more people's attention but for now, this post is all I can muster. I have talked to too many people caught in this situation to keep quiet. The VA tried to harass me into submission to not pursue dads benefits. They tried to scare me and take me to court. I could have had it dismissed but wanted to go and let the judge know what was going on. She had heard it before with the VA and other medical policies not covering dementia care. I wanted it on record even though I knew the courts hands were tied. I submitted the info to my senator so he could use it to try and change policy. I have a letter from him thanking me. There is an entire web of mess dementia can create medically and financially and there is a big increase in cases. I will not preach anymore, just had to get that out there. 

For the record, I didn't initially intend to spill this much info or get this deep. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hang in there Victoria Lynn - you are doing your level best in a tough situation, and emotions/loyalty are also factors here.  Smart people don't necessarily plan perfectly and your humor is a good way to approach and inserting good advice is also good.  Offering good advice is nothing to be apologetic about. The issues you are facing are continuing to grow and impact more people.  On one hand, increased life expectancy is nice but it does bring new challenges. Well, hopefully you see some success on the remaining cars and knock a few hurdles out of the way - and you have a nice 2017!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

V.L.,

I understand you didn't expect the replies that were posted, but the information contained in these posts are truly helpful.

So, from a sad situation, there are thoughts of great value, thoughts that may assist others.

Bob.

That's the intention and the hope. If I can help the next person then it wasn't in vain. 

• Like 1

That's quite a car Victoria! 57's are a favorite of mine. My 1st car was a 57 Meteor Rideau. A Canadian only model. Same car as a 57 Ford Fairlane but with different trim,grill,badging,etc. Hang on to that one as long as you can.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

That's quite a car Victoria! 57's are a favorite of mine. My 1st car was a 57 Meteor Rideau. A Canadian only model. Same car as a 57 Ford Fairlane but with different trim,grill,badging,etc. Hang on to that one as long as you can.

Yes, that is the plan. It's a good investment and the only "safety net" I have. It would break my heart to sell it unless I have to for dad's sake. 

• Like 1