Fastest TC and mod's

Hey what's up guys? I've been wondering lately, who has the fastest 8v TC?I know I'll be up there whenever I upgrade my turbo and IC, so it's something that I'd like to claim eventually, even if only for a short while :) Also, I know that there's not many TC's, and a lot of people like to keep them original, but does anyone want to share any of their mods or what they're currently working on? I can tell you that with the BMF intake on, I think I can remove and install the downpipe bolts from the top while seeing everything at the same time :)

On 12/26/2016 at 5:37 PM, jayspartanburg said:

Hey what's up guys? I've been wondering lately, who has the fastest 8v TC?I know I'll be up there whenever I upgrade my turbo and IC, so it's something that I'd like to claim eventually, even if only for a short while :) Also, I know that there's not many TC's, and a lot of people like to keep them original, but does anyone want to share any of their mods or what they're currently working on? I can tell you that with the BMF intake on, I think I can remove and install the downpipe bolts from the top while seeing everything at the same time :)

Just so you don't feel shunned, my 89 8v TC has been slightly modified, you can read all about it on the Allpar pages. Early on after purchasing the car in 95, I found that at freeway speeds on long upgrades, this car did not have enough power to maintain the posted speed, as soon as I had the parts accumulated, I converted it to a 5 speed manual transaxle. I also installed a SMEC from a Daytona Shelby.

The other modification is not for power, but for longevity. In years to come, everyone will have to deal with the failure of the Tevis ABS brake system on these cars.

I corrected that by installing a conventional vacuum booster / master cylinder system to prevent that problem from occurring.

There you have it. My TC is by no means the fastest, but it suits me just fine. It as 282,676 miles on the 'clock' and runs better than new. Still the original 2.2L

Edited by Hemi Dude (see edit history)

8V how about a V8? I'm a newbie here but by no means new to anything mopar. I have a garage full of them including a 88 Le baron convertible and a 86 Daytona turbo Z. I bought the V8 conversion kit that was available from mopar performance years ago with hopes to use it on one of my turbo cars. Since then i seen a lot of V8 conversions done to Daytonas and Le barons but no TC's. I know some of you may cringe of the thought but face it you will not see a TC cross the Barrett Jackson block and bring six figures. And i am not advocating doing this to a pristine TC either. The one i bought is in need of rescuing and in the future may be a candidate for a V8 RWD conversion. As far as i am concerned the factory should have offered V8's in all these cars but at the time it was not feasible. Thoughts?

On a side note i was wondering if any of you are using the mopar performance turbo 2 computers on your TC? I'm not sure if they will work on the TC's but don't think they are wired any different then the other turbo 2 cars. Forgive me if these subjects have been brought up in earlier posts but i'm still looking through them. :) 

39 minutes ago, Moparite said:

On a side note i was wondering if any of you are using the mopar performance turbo 2 computers on your TC? I'm not sure if they will work on the TC's but don't think they are wired any different then the other turbo 2 cars. Forgive me if these subjects have been brought up in earlier posts but i'm still looking through them. :) 

Sure, I have 2 cars that have had them on. They will work just as on others. The computer looks for the EGR solenoid which is not on a TC, so you merely have to jumper the connector which is already in the TCs engine wiring harness. I used an actual solenoid without any vacuum connections. The computer just 'needs' to see something in the circuit.

17 hours ago, TwinCamFan said:

Steve Menegon has a couple 11 second J body LeBarons.  Aren't they the same as TC's;)

I thought only "Sledgehammer" was 11's? That's a hard-top car! And I can for certain say, without doubt and with pictoral proof that a TC is a FAR cry from a J-body! (I know you knew that, and just about everyone on this forum knows that, but I think it's worth noting).

I'm not leaving my TC 8V, so....I'm not in this game.

As for putting a turbo on the 3.0...that works VERY well. I'm just not so sure that many here would want to either swap to the A670 3-speed or the A543 5-speed (V6 specific) due to the A604 programming probably not being able to keep the transmission alive with a ton more power, plus boost in OD is not a good idea (please note that the A604 physical design is not bad...it's the computer programming). *I* would, but that's me. I will say that I've experienced 2 different 3.0 cars with turbos on them. They can be absolute monsters!

• 1 month later...