1919 Buick H47

hmmca

hmmca,   They all have that bar, but that one seems to be hanging down,  it should be running along the bottom of the diff actually  touching the bottom of the diff.  Only closer inspection would tell if there,s a problem there.

This 1918 sedan was for sale a couple of years back.  Similar to my 1920,  but mine has an Australian body.  on a 118"wheelbase chassis.  That car would be on the 124" wheelbase  chassis 

18b10.jpg

IMG_1645.JPG

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)

5 hours ago, hmmca said:

Thanks Brian,

Is that a big deal the truss bar?  

It's that 1/2 inch diameter rod under the rear axle.  It's there to keep from breaking the rear axle case on bad roads.  It should be under light tension and touch the bottom of the differential in a cast groove in the bottom of the diff..  There is a large nut inside each brake housing to tension it but based on the large gap something is goofed up.  Easy enough to fix, its just a threaded rod with a bend in the middle.  Maybe the nut(s) have fallen off as a guess.

Vacuum fuel pump is missing too.  Guessing they changed over to an electric pump which has potential issues of flooding since the needle/seat/float in the Marvel carburetor was never designed for electric fuel pump pressures.

I've seen this car before in pictures somewhere.  Same thought, that it looks too tall and perhaps a custom job or modification.  But then, not that many closed cars from back then to have a good mental picture either.

Not running will keep the price down.  Question/gamble for the buyer is why is it not running?

Is running really an issue in a hundred year old car?  I'd rather leave the drive line be, buy the car as is, go through the mechanics.  Repair as needed and it will run.  Think of all the potential problems which will be avoided, stuck valves, mice nests, ketchup jars full of gasoline, etc.  Gary

11 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Is running really an issue in a hundred year old car?  I'd rather leave the drive line be, buy the car as is, go through the mechanics.  Repair as needed and it will run.  Think of all the potential problems which will be avoided, stuck valves, mice nests, ketchup jars full of gasoline, etc.  Gary

No. 

But a car you can take on a nice shake down drive and can be verified it has been on recent tours before you buy it is worth a lot more than a non-running car with unknown issue and expense. They are two very different purchases is all I'm saying.

2 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

I am not sure it is the correct axle.  I thought the axles for that year were split in 1/2? and did not have a rear cover.

Good point.  What year was it Buick made the big axle change?  The axle shown looks just like the one in my '23.