Exhaust tip positioning FIrst Gens

alini

Car is running best it has yet.  Drove it across town yesterday and when we got home both my wife and I noticed our clothes smelled like exhaust fumes.  I also have a RPM based ticking in the rear of the car.  Im looking at the positioning of my exhaust tips (using Waldrons Exhaust)  I have a feeling I have them just a bit too close to the bumper and some of the gas is getting caught by the bumper as it goes by and recirculating under the car.

Can someone with a factory/Waldrons exhaust show me where their tips are positioned in relation to the bumper/rear quarter.  Im also thinking of doing a bit of a slash cut on them so it allows the air closer to the ground to exit first.

I had factory exhaust on my Riviera for the first 30 years I owned it. The best tips I found were made for '57 Chevies and had an S curve to them. They placed the outlet just past the edge of the bumper. They would work on a '65. If you can't find those  a Jaguar XJ6 might do it.

Bernie

On 12/5/2016 at 7:08 PM, alini said:

Car is running best it has yet. 

Chris - glad to hear that you're back on the road!  Did you provide a postmortem on the transmission issue -- I looked, but must have missed it...  Was it just a bad rebuilt torque converter?

On 12/5/2016 at 6:08 PM, alini said:

Car is running best it has yet.  Drove it across town yesterday and when we got home both my wife and I noticed our clothes smelled like exhaust fumes.  I also have a RPM based ticking in the rear of the car.

Does the car have A/C?

Sounds like the "Riviera rattle" to me.

I already know it's the position of my tailpipes.  I did a lot of city driving and the exhaust fumes built up under the car at the traffic lights and up into the open windows.   The ticking is exhaust rattling the bottom of the car.   Since I never got a pic I repositioned the tips lower and it's  fixed the problem.  I wanted a picture for reference to know how far down they should hang and was concerned about the bends with the waldrons exhaust to make sure it ended in the right spot

I found the source of my tick today.  There are two small 1/4 inch drain holes, one under each back seat.  The exhaust pressure under the car was pushing air through those holes and it sounded like a tick.  The holes are right above the resonator.   With the exhaust tips being tucked under too close the exhaust gases were recirculating under the car and the pulses of air were the cause of the noise.

Thank you for that. I found those the other day when I removed the oval shaped floor pan plates. On the info you have just provide, I think I will put in two rubber grommets to seal them.

Have no idea why they are there and open, unless they already knew the rear window was gonna leak! Drain holes for all that water,

tnx Rodney

Whats funny is its in the middle of the rear seats.  The only thing I can figure is it is a dip in the pan for the rear seat frame and the channel isnt very wide so they just put a hole instead of the larger block off plates.  The rear seat frame is visible through the hole from below and very close.  When I took the car apart I believe there was seam sealer over them as well.   I can inject some from below to fill the gap and stop the tick