VACUUM HOSES-1954 CADDY RADIO

Marty Roth

The radio in my 1954 Cadillac Series 62 has vacuum ports for three (3) hoses. 

The person who pulled it apart to replace my wiper posts and cables did not note which hose went to which port. Now there is a leak, and the foot button does not seek the next station.

Please help to identify hose routing, and/or to point me to a schematic.

Thank you,

Marty

Three hoses, three ports, only nine possible combinations.  Shouldn't be too hard to come up with the right combination by simple process of elimination.

1 hour ago, Tinindian said:

Three hoses, three ports, only nine possible combinations.  Shouldn't be too hard to come up with the right combination by simple process of elimination.

I thought that and even thought about making a chart so it could be easily tracked. Then I thought about the antenna, couldn't remember what feeds the vacuum antenna and don't know if the car has one.

Marty,

The three ports on the radio should be the engine vacuum input and outputs for up antenna and down antenna.  I think the foot switch is electric not vacuum.  My guess is that the repair guy unplugged the wire to the foot switch and it needs to be put back in.

Thank you Dave,

I kind of hoped that was the answer, but I had not yet found the documentation.

I appreciate your help, and will follow up when I get back to the car

My father's '54 Caddy had the vacuum-operated antenna and from the day he bought the car (in 1955) it never worked. Up or down.  Just hissed.

It was either the left or right control knob that controlled it.  You pushed the knob in or pulled it out, to make the antenna go up or down.  (Or vice-versa.)

55 minutes ago, Bleach said:

The foot switch is electric, at least it was on my 51 Cadillac.

Bleach, thanks - you are correct, and I'll get back to it, hopefully soon.

19 minutes ago, Jon37 said:

My father's '54 Caddy had the vacuum-operated antenna and from the day he bought the car (in 1955) it never worked. Up or down.  Just hissed.

It was either the left or right control knob that controlled it.  You pushed the knob in or pulled it out, to make the antenna go up or down.  (Or vice-versa.)

Thanks Jon, by the way, we displayed the 1915 Hudson with the AACA/HCCA group at the Hilton Head (SC) Concourse, and then drove it the entire next week at the combined Reliability Tour based out of Savannah, GA. other than the frequent snugging up of the new packing for the water pump shaft, the '15 Hudson SIX-40 Phaeton ran "like a Swiss watch", and is a pleasure to drive at speed.

48 minutes ago, Jon37 said:

Mine actually worked. It was pretty cool to see it go up and down so quietly.

6 minutes ago, Bleach said:

Mine actually worked. It was pretty cool to see it go up and down so quietly.

Thanks - nice to know that it could be functional. I have a vacuum antenna packed away somewhere, and will eventually restore and install it.For now I just need to get the radio full functional again, as it was before we started the A/C project, and before we install the repro-Mark IV unit under the dash.

3 minutes ago, Bleach said:

I checked my 52 Cadillac shop manual and middle port on the radio is for the vacuum tee and the others are for the top and bottom lines for the antenna.

Great - thank you,

I'll be sure to check the connections, and to block of the fittings until we get to install a good antenna