1925-1927 Buick Standard Rear Axle/ Wheel Bearings

Guest Motormark

Guest Motormark

Is there a source for replacement "roller bearings" used in the rear wheels/axle of '25 - '27 Buick Standards? Or does anyone have good usable used bearings, races/sleeves, seals, etc. Or a complete rear axle unit that could supply good parts might work as the key-way in one axle chewed up, so better axle would be good here as well. (Do not need springs or wheels.) I live in Columbus , Ohio. Happy to drive a few hundred miles for a good axle, pay your asking price.

Thanks,

Mark

614 551 0960

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_3475.JPG

Mark,

There was a Chicago craigslist ad that I posted last week in the buy and sell pages, and this guy was giving away a free 1926 Buick rear axle.  I do not know if it was master or standard.  The posting is down now, so he either found a taker, or the listing ran out.   He may repost, so you may want to keep an eye on the Chicago listing.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/zip/5890275553.html

Your car looks very unique.  Can you post a photo of the side?   Thanks   Hugh

Mark

That rear axle looks like 1928 based on location of strut rod lugs mounted further aft of the torque tube flange. The strut rods and associated mounts on the rear axle tube are missing too.  Red arrows in diagram below point at the strut rods.  Buick changed the design of the torque tube flange for 1928, so this suggests that either some modifications have been made at this flange, or more parts forward of this are actually 1928. The second photo below compares Master 1924 - 1927 style torque tube flange with 1928 style, and I believe Standard also made similar changes in 1928.  Rollers & axle shafts are interchangeable thru 1928.

Kevin

rear axle diagram.jpg

torque tube flanges.jpg

hi all

I found back wheel bearings were the hardest bearing to replace as you are limited as to what you can swap them with I have shown a picture of the original bearings and a drawing of them 

you can use the bearings from motion industries they do have less roller's in them but they are the right size for the hub and axle tube but the inner sleeve is the same length as the bearing

and you need this extra length for your oil seal (felt) to seal on I over came this by turning a steel sleeve up on the lath and pushed this on first then butted the bearing up to it   you could put a speedie sleeve on the steel ring if you are worried about the finish on the steel sleeve

I have had a set in my buick for a few years now and they work fine you can do high speeds for long distance and they don't get warm up

these are the same bearings that bobs sell but he makes no mention of the inner sleeve being short

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3975.JPG

IMG_3976.JPG

To me Mark's axle looks like a '27. The '28 has the lugs for the shock straps on the brake backing plate and the strut rod lug bolts to the torque tube, it is not riveted on as his is in the pic. The diagram in the Master Parts List is showing a '29 axle. Check out the hub cap.

Also I'm looking at the pictures of the bearings and race on the axle and they look to be serviceable. Well as much as I can see.

Dave