Brake reaction rod snapped

DV8

Yesterday I got on the highway in my '65 and quickly realized something was wrong with the steering/suspension. It was pulling hard left and very unstable over bumps. Didn't take me long to find the issue once I got it back home into the garage. The brake reaction rod had broken off at the bushing end and was (probably to my luck) lodged in place. Does any one have any advice as to:

1. Where I can get a replacement? These don't seem as readily available as many other suspension and linkage parts. Is a parts car or junkyard my only option?

2. Any tips on how to go about replacing this? My guess is to compress the spring a little by putting a floor jack under the lower A-arm to give me a little play. Right now it's wedged in there pretty good.

3. Any ideas as to what would have caused this? The fact that it's 51 years old and needed to be replaced is a perfectly acceptable answer.

IMG_1001.JPG

Have you made any hard stops recently or does the brake tend to grab on that side? I wouldn't call it old age. It is stress from something. The lower inner bushing is rubber and it is 50 years old that could have caused extra stress on the retaining nut during breaking and regular driving. Plan on replacing the. The upper inner control arm bushings should be greasable unless they were "updated" with rubber replacements. Check them thoroughly.

The Buick has a good heavy anchor point. I had one unroot from the crossmember of a '71 Ford under hard braking. The wheel came back and wedged against the fenderwell. I could only back up.

Best guess is that there has been extra flex at least on that side for a while.

Bernie

Thanks for that insight, Bernie. I did make a fairly hard stop the other night due to another driver's lack of brake lights. Wheels locked up and skidded for a good little bit. I did just overhaul the entire brake system and got everything dialed in and it seemed to be braking as well as and evenly as ever. I have been planning on rebuilding the entire suspension system (including all the bushings and ball joints) for quite some time but it being such a large project and the fact that this is my daily driver I have held off on it. This may be the excuse I need to take the plunge.

Edited by DV8 (see edit history)

There you go, shifted the weak link from the brakes to the suspension. Once the suspension is fixed you might hit the brakes and hear the fan hitting the radiator due to the 50 year old motor mounts.

"The cost of progress is problems."

Bernie

• Like 1

That happens on old mustangs sometimes. Usually when poly bushings are used. I put a spherical bearing kit on one, and it dramatically improved the braking and handling. I'm not sure I'd do that on a Riv though, it might make it a little harsher.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 0:27 PM, DV8 said:

Yesterday I got on the highway in my '65 and quickly realized something was wrong with the steering/suspension. It was pulling hard left and very unstable over bumps. Didn't take me long to find the issue once I got it back home into the garage. The brake reaction rod had broken off at the bushing end and was (probably to my luck) lodged in place. Does any one have any advice as to:

1. Where I can get a replacement? These don't seem as readily available as many other suspension and linkage parts. Is a parts car or junkyard my only option?

2. Any tips on how to go about replacing this? My guess is to compress the spring a little by putting a floor jack under the lower A-arm to give me a little play. Right now it's wedged in there pretty good.

3. Any ideas as to what would have caused this? The fact that it's 51 years old and needed to be replaced is a perfectly acceptable answer.

You can get the new bushings here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/63-68-Buick-Wildcat-Rubber-Brake-Reaction-Strut-Rod-Bushing-Lower-Control-NOS-/270809543145?fits=Year%3A1967|Make%3ABuick&hash=item3f0d81b1e9:g:tQsAAOSwx2dYF1sJ&vxp=mtr

And this gentleman at Rivi Central has been a great source for parts, don't forget the washer:

http://stores.ebay.com/partsandstuffandrivierastoo/

• 1 month later...

So I realized I'm supposed to follow up and post on the resolution. I was able to get a brake reaction rod in pretty good shape from Mario(?) at his Riviera boneyard in Rancho Cucominga. I used the old bushings because the kit I buy for the suspension rebuild will have a new set. So far it's working well as ever without even having anything realigned. Still planning on rebuilding the entire suspension when I have an empty weekend (or week more realistically) and about a thousand bucks.

Edited by DV8 (see edit history)