1955 BUICK 41C (?) 4-DOOR CONVERT

1953mack

11 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

I agree these can be cool, real cool come winter. Definitely fair weather cars but yea cool. How would you do that reinforcement.

I know if this was a 4 door hardtop and not a sedan it already has some stiffeners in the half B pillars.  Hardtops also have a little different body mount configuration on the frame.   While I've never done this, I would guess you'd need to stiffen the C pillars and rockers at a minimum to help keep any frame flex from realigning your doors.  Yes you'd be cold in the winter.  I did a 48 chevy truck topless once, (instead of reinforcement, I welded the doors shut and shaved the handles). Too much of a P.I.T.A to keep it covered and such for only fair weather use, however $2800 for this might be OK if the car isn't a complete hack job.

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)

I have done that a couple of times over the years. Most of the concerns are just speculation. I am a firm believer in Murphy's Laws of Roof Removal. If it is an old car you don't really care about and just cut the roof off it will hold together fine. If you are trying to make something nice to keep you will be chasing cracks and sags forever. no matter what you do.

I'm sneaky. I shoot for the middle where neither Murph or I know what is going on.

I do have one firm rule. No painted sheet metal above the windshield. I have always found a convertible windshield frame to graft on. One must uphold some standard, you know.

Bernie

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Well, I'm getting pretty good with a sawzall and 4" grinder and have a few 4-door Roadmasters, hmmmmm, what do ya think Matt?....

I've seen your cutting skills.  I think you could do it!  Nice topless cruiser for those Georgia summer nights....

• Like 1

Whatever you do don't use a nibbler! You end up with these little rusty toenail looking things all through the carpet. It is best to follow all your cuts with a big radio speaker magnet on the roof rail and supports. Four door hardtops actually have very strong pillar posts. A '54 RM, not so heavy. I would integrate a support across the back seat. Look at the '30's convertible sedans. They didn't go very extreme on the removable center posts. Today a home hobbyist has better tools than the big kids of the '30's. We can outdo the former icons.

I have mentally hacked a few '94-'96 Roadmasters into converts. That high deck is reminiscent of the '39's to me and I think I could catch the flavor.

One thing is for sure. I ain't done, yet.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

I've seen your cutting skills.  I think you could do it!  Nice topless cruiser for those Georgia summer nights....

or a Nice summer cruiser for those Georgia topless nights :o   Yea, my cuttin skills have gotten pretty good...I can cut the legs out from under a chair whilst you're sittin in it... and not spill a drop of your shine. Thing is I don't even own a welder, I just tear things apart and let the experts like you, Bernie, Mike and Willie put them back together. Maybe soon as I get my garage finished and all my current drivers put back together we can have a '54 Roadmaster  pervertible clinic.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

or a Nice summer cruiser for those Georgia topless nights :o   

OH DEAR!!!  Glad I'm not at work today, I literally laughed out loud at that....   Not sure Rita would approve :blink:

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

pervertible 

Maybe Beemon can 3D print a "pervertible" script that can then be plaster molded, cast, and plated for the side of this new machine....

• Like 2

I have seen that car. And a few others by Seneca Lake. The English majors in  my family would say there is a difference between emulating the coach builders of the 1930's and counter culture shock value. I think my drummer has a different rhythm.

The '63 Electra 225 6 window that I graphed the Olds convertible windshield frame on was pretty much undetectable..... except for the back doors

I'll look around for some pictures of my past work.

Bernie

Here is my car that got the eye for a chopping many times.

a 082.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2