1928 studebaker engine information

Guest Pete611

Guest Pete611

have what I believe to be is a 1928 Studebaker engine. numbers on the block are 127353-2  and H-4-17, have motor tore done to rebuild it but have no spec's on motor. have researched and have come up with no info on the 20's engine's. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Pete Simon

This is a 1928 Studebaker Dictator 6.  The H 4 17 is April 17 1928.  My 1927 Dictator is G 2 22 or February 22 1927.  Bore and stroke 3 3/8 x 4 1/4, displacement is 242 cubic inches.  Compression ratio about 4.25:1.  Horsepower about 60 at 2500 rpm.  The 127353 is the casting number/part number for the block, the -2 meaning it is the second revision of the block since it was redesigned for 1928.  It is different from the block in my car due to the relocation of the water inlet into the block and the provision of a mechanical fuel pump at the left front of the block.  Studebaker was the first auto maker to go to a mechanical fuel pump, my 27 has a vacuum tank.  The four holes around the date code are for a canister type oil filter mounting bracket which was an option.   

Dictator27,a small correction to your post. The stroke is 4 1/2" not 4 1/4".

To Pete611, what else do you want to know?  There should be an engine number stamped on the block on the raised area just above the water jacket. My son recently built up one engine from the remains of four.  No new parts went into it, even the rings and bearings.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)