Need help with a car I'm buying, Raleigh NC area

George Smolinski

Anyone in the Raleigh, NC area that can help? I'm buying a car that sat for many years so it's in-op. I need the tires checked to make sure they hold air, make sure trans/clutch/etc. can be put in neutral to roll it, & brakes aren't locked up. I am willing to pay something for your time. Some parts have been removed from the car; possibly check to see if it looks like everything is there also.

George, 

I have edited your title to include the location. Hopefully that will help attract the attention of some of the forum members in the area. If not, I can find a phone number for aTriangle Chapter, NC Region, AACA member that might be able to help you.

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

Anyone in the Raleigh, NC area that can help? I'm buying a car that sat for many years so it's in-op. I need the tires checked to make sure they hold air, make sure trans/clutch/etc. can be put in neutral to roll it, & brakes aren't locked up. I am willing to pay something for your time. Some parts have been removed from the car; possibly check to see if it looks like everything is there also.

Googol a tow yard in the area. We do this often with our tow company. Make sure he is a car guy. Screen him for his knowledge. If a 8 car or bigger is coming in, most likely the truck will not be able to come into the neighborhood with the big rig because of size and insurance issues. A lot of insurance companies will not insure the trucker for going into a residential neighborhood. Been doing this for almost 50 years. Here is one that we picked up from a garage that sat for 30 plus years. Brought to our yard, air tires or fix and freed up 2 frozen brakes and held until the hauler picked it up. We even washed the car. We charged 350 for this service. All the work and 45 days storage. Hope this helps.

20160314_074117.jpg

20160314_074133.jpg

20160314_140039.jpg

20160314_140102.jpg

20160314_140117.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Thanks for the editing & replies. I could also use contact info for someone to pick up & haul the car in an enclosed trailer. The car will of course, have to be winched into the trailer.

Nice Barracuda BTW.

Make of car and what the point A to point B is. You would still need a flatbed to get the car moved. A big hauler cannot back into whatever and load.

Car is a Riley in Raleigh either going to Elkhart, IN or coming to Twin Cities, MN.

The help I'm asking for would make the car movable although still in-op. Being movable should be enough to winch it into an enclosed trailer pulled by a pickup or other truck. I wouldn't want it hauled in the open and/or on a big rig. Whoever I contract with to haul it, I would expect it becomes their job to get it out & loaded. Only exception I could see is if it were a friend, relative, or perhaps someone from this group that was hauling it. Then I would put extra effort into having it ready for loading, like hiring a flatbed to assist. Of course, all of the loading & hauling details will be discussed & written out prior to any hauling and/or payment.

What kind of car is this?

The car still has to get to the street behind the trailer to be loaded. The enclosed trailer can not back into a driveway to load unless you're on a big yard, ranch, or at a commercial loading zone. Plus this car HAS TO ROLL AND STEER!!! The car can not be loaded safely with these problems. That is why it would be advantageous to have a terminal pick this car up to eliminate problems that in the long run could cause damage and additional charges. Just saying from all the years that I have done this. 

Have you tried Truly Vintage Transport? He is the best with a 38ft enclosed.

About Me

I do direct enclosed auto transport.

I travel year round to the lower 48 states.

Call Jim at (260) 804-6695

http://forums.aaca.org/profile/99427-trulyvintage/?tab=field_core_pfield_12

56eff2bba8fd7_TFrazerNSpeedster.jpg.8cbb649807efcae552651af660f314de.jpg

56eff2735753b_IMG_4481(1).JPG.fa260bc1f32c200d8eb4784a37b58af6.JPG

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 1:12 PM, countrytravler said:

Run your request on this post. It will help.

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/114-garages-trailers-and-towing/

Aestorrs, Country, & Trulyvintage,

The seller will make the car ready for shipping (tires aired up, rolls, & steers. He also has contacts in the local towing area so it shouldn't be an issue getting it someplace to load to a trailer. Stupid question here - will towing companies store cars indoors until they are picked up, if they have the space? Trulyvintage, does your trailer have a winch? Will you haul from New Bern, NC to Mpls, MN?

• 2 weeks later...

Pilot and Horseless Carriage do not run this route.

Reliable Carriers charge about 1800.00 for a 1350 mile run. About 1.35 Per Mile.  http://www.reliablecarriers.com/contact-us/

You are responsible for having the car brought to the truck if you're in a residential neighborhood. The same at the drop point. Trucks have restrictions with weight and low hanging tree branches etc.

The car has to steer, roll, and brake.

20151014_180504.jpg

20160221_182025.jpg

2016042595064649.jpg

photo-01.jpg

photo-02.jpg