1948 Desoto

NickST

Hi 

would anybody be able to tell me how you remove the stainless steel trim strips  that run along the doors on my 1948 desoto.Is there a tool you slide behind them to unclip, or do you have to get to them from inside the car by taking off the door cards.

many thanks in advance 

Nick .

Try posting your question in the Desoto section of the Chrysler forums in stead of this general forum. Usually much better results when you have a question about a certain brand of car. Someone there will have an answer for you.

11 hours ago, GARY F said:

what does your service manual say about clip retainers?  for my cars i have service manuals, overhaul manuals and special manual for such as A/C

Hi Gary, unfortunately my service manual does not say anything on removing trim. 

8 hours ago, Fleek said:

Try posting your question in the Desoto section of the Chrysler forums in stead of this general forum. Usually much better results when you have a question about a certain brand of car. Someone there will have an answer for you.

I will do thanks .

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 5:44 AM, NickST said:

Hi 

would anybody be able to tell me how you remove the stainless steel trim strips  that run along the doors on my 1948 desoto.Is there a tool you slide behind them to unclip, or do you have to get to them from inside the car by taking off the door cards.

many thanks in advance 

Nick .

One simple question.

Five "non-answer" posts..........

Yes there are clips and yes there is a removal tool.

Harbor Freight is your next stop.

Mike in Colorado

14 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

One simple question.

Five "non-answer" posts..........

Yes there are clips and yes there is a removal tool.

Harbor Freight is your next stop.

Mike in Colorado

Sounds like Mike Flyer is onto the right answer.

I don't think this is a DeSoto-specific question,

and there must be some more knowledge on this 

AACA forum!

I don't recall exactly how I took these off 50 years ago, but these photos are of both sides of the clips for 1946-48 DeSoto (and First Series 1949), and POSSIBLY Chrysler, stainless sill / rocker moldings.  From looking at them, the molding snaps off first, then each clip gets pried off from the outside.  Same group in both photos: 12 identical + one odd one.  If you're interested this set is available for $30 postpaid in the lower 48.

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1726.JPG

3 hours ago, NickST said:

thanks i will have another go of clipping off the trim from the outside.

First check with a local body shop, as the clip removal tool may be "car specific".

Re-straightening  stainless trim is VERY expensive, if you cannot do it yourself.

AND it is virtually a lost art.

Mike in Colorado