1963 Corvair Spyder Turbo

victorialynn2

Corvairs came in red with red interior, but that's too much red. Red interior could go with either a black or a white exterior imo. Or a red car could have a black interior. Maybe red with a white interior. Red car with tan interior is common with Ferraris and Italian makes, red car with black dash and carpet, and tan seat covers / door panels.

I realize it is all personal preference, but the way it is, it has too much red, and the way the red and white are intermixed is not good.

There was an interior color code, R, for two-tone red/white interior :

Interior paint codes:...1963: 2= Blue 3= Aqua 4= Fawn 5= Red 7= Black 8= Saddle R = White/Red.

Must be what was swapped into this one because of the two-tone steering wheel, as someone else mentioned previously. I wonder what exterior color was typically used with the two-tone red/white interior?

You could just leave it the way it is, but if the seats are white vinyl then the door panels should probably be changed to white vinyl. It would make more sense at least visually for all the vinyl to be the same color.

11 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

You could just leave it the way it is, but if the seats are white vinyl then the door panels should probably be changed to white vinyl. It would make more sense at least visually for all the vinyl to be the same color.

If I was going to the expense to paint or redo the interior, I'd do what it was originally... Black outside, red inside. I'd keep the steering wheel though.

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, GT52 said:

Just from a financial standpoint, I would caution against getting into much in the way of paint work on that car.  Anyone who wants to restore that car would want what would be a high end job to take it back to original color, and that alone would cost more than the car would likely be worth when it is finished.  Anything short of that sort of a paint job is as likely to decrease the value as increase it, because it is just one more coat of paint that needs removing.

I'd probably just make it look nice and shiny enough to drive it around.

After more digging I found out my father owned at least 1 other Spyder. It was a 64. I do remember a black one, but not sure if it was this one and he painted it, or if the 64 was black. Maybe more digging will answer that. 

Thanks everyone for all the information. I really appreciate it. This is really the only "fun" part of this project for me. It's a very emotional process and there are a lot of bugs in TX! This is a 5/8" wrench and the biggest black widow I've ever seen in dad's garage. Lots of brown recluse and various other bugs and spiders too. Ewwww!

Resized_20161121_154941.jpeg

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

I'd probably just make it look nice and shiny enough to drive it around.

I figured as much, and anything you'd spend above and beyond Maaco you would never recover.  The value in your Corvair was that it was your father's.  If you just wanted a nice Corvair you'd be much better off selling what you have for whatever you could get for it and buying one, like the black one in the link, that is already done...you could never get yours to that point for that price.  That's just the way collector cars usually work.  Better just to get yours to a point where you can enjoy driving it occasionally without getting a ridiculous amount of money into it.

I can imagine that a black over black Spyder convertible with red interior drew quite a crowd sitting on the showroom floor in 1963...maybe next to an all-new Stingray split window fastback.  Both beautiful cars.  Those were GM glory days.  I also imagine a lot of guys drooled over that Spyder before their wife made them settle for a pea green 4 door Biscayne, six cylinder with Powerglide, so there was more room for the fam!  

6 minutes ago, GT52 said:

I can imagine that a black over black Spyder convertible with red interior drew quite a crowd sitting on the showroom floor in 1963...maybe next to an all-new Stingray split window fastback.  Both beautiful cars.  Those were GM glory days.  I also imagine a lot of guys drooled over that Spyder before their wife made them settle for a pea green 4 door Biscayne, six cylinder with Powerglide, so there was more room for the fam!  

Thanks for the advice.

As it would happen, dad had a '63 split window. It was mint and matching numbers, all original and low miles. Everyone liked that one the most because it had a big engine, but I loved his '58 Corvette convertible. It's my all time favorite car. 

Image result for 1962 skylark black red interiorImage result for 1962 skylark black red interior

That's what my brother's '62 Skylark was, black with a red interior. A good color combination. He bought it new. A combination of these two pics, his was a 2 door hardtop, with the red interior like this convertible. Aluminum V-8 with a 4 speed stick on the floor. I even think there are some styling similarities with the '63 Corvair.

• Like 1

Before you go for a complete paint job, you can probably make it very presentable by polishing and waxing the original paint and possibly touching up any scratches or rusty spots. If you are going to do this you should do the touch ups before you do the polish and wax. Black is easy to match and easy to touch up.

55 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Thanks for the link. Did you want to make a point about it?

No point, was just sharing. I have owned and raced these cars in the 60s and 70s. My dad was an expert on the Vair. He went around to dealers in the Detroit area to teach how to fix these. Was showing what junk is selling for . I would love to have your car and do it justice.

I can take the vert down if you wish.

Thanks

Dave

20 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

After more digging I found out my father owned at least 1 other Spyder. It was a 64. I do remember a black one, but not sure if it was this one and he painted it, or if the 64 was black. Maybe more digging will answer that. 

Thanks everyone for all the information. I really appreciate it. This is really the only "fun" part of this project for me. It's a very emotional process and there are a lot of bugs in TX! This is a 5/8" wrench and the biggest black widow I've ever seen in dad's garage. Lots of brown recluse and various other bugs and spiders too. Ewwww!

Resized_20161121_154941.jpeg

That is small compared to the ones we have in CA. LOL

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Before you go for a complete paint job, you can probably make it very presentable by polishing and waxing the original paint and possibly touching up any scratches or rusty spots. If you are going to do this you should do the touch ups before you do the polish and wax. Black is easy to match and easy to touch up.

It's actually red right now, but I will consider this when the time comes. Thank you!

1 minute ago, countrytravler said:

Bad time of the year to sell old cars with the election year that came and went.

I learned in real estate there is always a reason not to do something but sometimes it's actually an opportunity. Less competition possibly. Also, I'm still seeing things selling. I look at solds (Just like RE) and those parts cars are not even comparable to what my car looks like in person. I will probably hang onto the Corvair and try to sell a few others instead. (55 Chevy, 48 Jeepster, 50 Ford 2 Door, 78 Lincoln, etc.) I sold a couple cars last time this year and did just fine. i will put a reserve on them just in case if I put them on eBay. Never hurts to try.

Just now, victorialynn2 said:

I learned in real estate there is always a reason not to do something but sometimes it's actually an opportunity. Less competition possibly. Also, I'm still seeing things selling. I look at solds (Just like RE) and those parts cars are not even comparable to what my car looks like in person. I will probably hang onto the Corvair and try to sell a few others instead. (55 Chevy, 48 Jeepster, 50 Ford 2 Door, 78 Lincoln, etc.) I sold a couple cars last time this year and did just fine. i will put a reserve on them just in case if I put them on eBay. Never hurts to try.

3 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

Here is a modified Corvair ramp truck reworked.

http://barnfinds.com/custom-1962-corvair-rampside-flatbed/#comment-305061

Cool. I sold this 61 Rampside last year.

2.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

I was talking with the election year and every time it comes up, sales slow down. Just been doing this for about 50 years. The higher dollar car will slow down but not the normal everyday cars. I know that the parts cars do not hold a candle. I was just showing what junk cars are being advertised for. These will be bought from a person doing a resto and use these as parts cars would be mu guess. I have had cars on CL on for 3 years then the person will be looking for that certain car and WOLA!! SOLD!!

• Like 1

Just now, countrytravler said:

Nice truck!! Saw a double door Rampside sell just recently. They are very rare. 10 of us went to Woodstock Concert in 1969 in a Corvair Greenbrier. Now! that was a bazaar trip!

Thanks. I bet that was a fun trip! Haha. Actually the Spyder has lower production numbers (at least for the years I have/had). The Corvair Van I sold was the lowest. They all are pretty low though!

I hear you. Happens in Real Estate also. 

My inlaws say the same thing. They own about 200 commercial buildings around the Detroit area and in other states. They bought the old Wixom Lincoln-Tbird Plant in Wixom MI and tore it down to build a General Motor Home Sales and Service. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mike6024 said:

...That's what my brother's '62 Skylark was, black with a red interior... Aluminum V-8 with a 4 speed stick on the floor. I even think there are some styling similarities with the '63 Corvair.

The other thing that the early Skylark/F85/Tempest have in common with the Corvair is that they have largely been left behind, in spite of the interesting and innovative technology that they were playing around with...rear transaxles, half-a-389 engine, aluminum V8s, turbochargers...lots of cool stuff there, as GM was trying to figure out "small" cars.  In '64 the GTO (pretty conventional by comparison) and the Mustang (a spruced up Falcon) finally defined the trends that eventually defined the sixties, and in terms of value everything else got left behind.  Today, the further you get away from what is considered a muscle car, the further down the price ladder you probably are.  

It's nice to know that NADA agrees with my estimate of value, wouldn't it be nice if NADA actually bought and sold cars. Great guideline but also seasonal and regional. All washed up bright and shinny that little red and white Corvair would be the sexiest looking Spider on the world wide web, it may not be factory original paint and upholstery, but it was very well done and it should sell well, or it could make a great little people magnet at opens.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Digger914 said:

It's nice to know that NADA agrees with my estimate of value, wouldn't it be nice if NADA actually bought and sold cars. Great guideline but also seasonal and regional. All washed up bright and shinny that little red and white Corvair would be the sexiest looking Spider on the world wide web, it may not be factory original paint and upholstery, but it was very well done and it should sell well, or it could make a great little people magnet at opens.

Thanks Digger. I appreciate the kind words. I have hauled a few of my dads cars from Texas to Oregon and received such nice comments on them all. He didn't buy junk and did a decent job restoring them. Maybe they are not #1's, but I have knowledgable collectors, appraiser's etc., say they are solid 2's, and about the Rampside, a well known Corvair expert, the owner of Corvair Underground, who happens to be from my home town, saw it and said online that it was in the top 1% of any Rampside he'd ever seen. He owns one, I've seen it and he's been around Corvairs about as long as my father. 

Money is one measurement, but having compliments on his cars means so much more. I appreciate your comment. 

Early Stingrays had two different knockoffs, the first had two ears for the brass hammer. Later ones had three ears. The early ones are not common. Just though it funny that it was listed since AFAIK they were all five bolt 15" wheels and the 63 used a four bolt wheel that wasn't a 15 (forget if was 13 or 14". Had a pair of 14x6" Snowflakes (I like snowflakes) on the front of my 66 (65-up were GM small five bolt) and 15x7"s on the rear.

snowflake.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, padgett said:

Early Stingrays had two different knockoffs, the first had two ears for the brass hammer. Later ones had three ears. The early ones are not common. Just though it funny that it was listed since AFAIK they were all five bolt 15" wheels and the 63 used a four bolt wheel that wasn't a 15 (forget if was 13 or 14". Had a pair of 14x6" Snowflakes (I like snowflakes) on the front of my 66 (65-up were GM small five bolt) and 15x7"s on the rear.

Good to know. Those Snowflakes look nice on your car! (Learned another term... Snowflakes.) I am learning a lot from all of you and I am so appreciative! Plus I always like to learn new things. I get bored easy. Haha

If you have 13 or 14" 4 lug knockoffs, that is a new one for me.

GM Snowflakes came in 13x6, 14x6, 15x7, 15x8 (RWD 5x4 3/4), 16x7 and 16x8 (FWD 5x112). Were also some later Firebird sizes but not sure of sizes. They also called "cross laced" and with both exposed and covered lug nuts. Most were either natural or gold (most common) but some (Redbird, Skybird (Bluebird was taken) were different colors. I really like them and are on all my GM cars.