Cylinder head ID help please

OLDTINPUSHER

I researched and wrote a couple of books on later model cast iron and aluminum part components, explaining how to read casting dates on many components, and ID'ing parts based on casting numbers and features. But these were only on V8 Chevrolets and OHV V8 Fords. Nothing older than 1954... 

Yet, that casting date code at the right ("A-7-16") would TYPICALLY be decoded as "A" equals first month (January), and "7" equals the day of the month, and "16" would typically be the year of production. Then the little arrow below which points at the "D" would stand for day shift, and the "N" at right would have been selected if the part had been cast by night shift workers. 

AGAIN, I realize that my information is from different car companies, of very different eras. But it's also important to keep in mind that many, many cast engine components were actually cast by an outside supplier. Many of those same foundries were still in business in the 1960's, and still using the same casting code systems. Yet, some foundries used different date code systems entirely. For example, the "A" might be the first year of a decade, with the "7" representing a month, and the "16" being the day of July. 

Obviously, those date codes were never intended to help collectors or restorers some day in a distant future. They were put there to assist engineers in quality control. Careful records were supposed to be kept for every production shift. So if warranty problems surfaced with a certain cylinder head, for example, dealership mechanics would be forced to replace them for their customers. The failed components, when shipped back to the factory, would be examined for flaws. Then, if the foundry received lots of failed parts with the same casting number, they would use the date codes to determine if a large percentage of the bad parts were made on a particular date or dates, and even perhaps on a single production shift. Then records could be examined, checking for reported oven temps, where raw materials were obtained, etc. 

Generally speaking, I would have guessed that the OP's cylinder head looks later than 1916. But if I had found it in a boneyard myself, I would have GUESSED that the casting date indicated a 1916 production date. 

I've tried to attach a pdf file of some photos from that book I referred to. But I don't know if PDF files work on this forum? If so, then I must apologize for the rough condition of my copy of the book. I keep it in my truck, every where I go. LOL

ChevyCastingNumbers.pdf

In case those PDF images don't work here, I converted them to jpg files. Here are some pix: 

(By the way, I do not personally own the rights to this book, and get no royalties. So I'm not trying to sell anything in this post. Just sharing where my perspective comes from)

One more time, I apologize for the condition of my own copy of this old book. It has been used a LOT of times. ;-)

ChevyCastingNumbers_Page_1.jpg

ChevyCastingNumbers_Page_2.jpg

ChevyCastingNumbers_Page_3.jpg

ChevyCastingNumbers_Page_4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...