47 Chrysler Ever Dry

I purchased my 47 Chrysler just over a year ago,at that time it did not have the ever dry package. After a tour last week, i need it. I have the ever dry package on order. Before I install it

I have a question. What size or type of spark plug terminal clip would be the best to have to properly fit the rubber cap so it fits properly over the metal cup that the plug fits into.

This is a small matter but if any one has some idea's I would appreciate hearing .

Bruce Watson

I didn't reply because I was hoping someone with more experience would pipe up. If I understand your question it concerns installing the ever dry boot kit. You will need to remove the original boots from your wires and feed the terminal through. A shot of silicone or WD40 or dish soap helps. I don't recall if the boots are straight or 90 degrees but your terminals need to match. When you get the old boot off you will see if the can be bent or straightened if necessary, if not you will need new terminals or wires.

Short answer, they are made to be used with standard terminals that come with regular plug wires. If you have fancy wires that are thicker than stock 7mm it may be a problem.

You need 90 degree spark plug wire end terminals for the MoPar Evr- Dry  boots...

Use either Belden  (NAPA) 7 MM snap lock or std 90 degree crimp on terminals

To crimp the terminals on right you should use some ignition cable pliers like these Belden  pliers #726601

I have done many wire sets over the years.

7MM 90 degree steel crimp spark plug terminal.JPG

7MM 90 degree snap lok crimp style spark plug  terminal.JPG

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Thanks Rust & Bob for your input , I think the Belden snap lock would make it easier to put the boot on &  off if I have to change plugs,. With the snap lock you should be able to put the terminal   clip on the plug  & then pull the boot over top. The idea of a shot of silicone on the wire will make it a lot easier to pull the wire thru..

I really appreciate the reply & will be ready once the package arrives from Robert's

Regards

Bruce Watson

The wires are a little finicky to get on the spark plugs with the Evr-Dry boots because you cannot see or easily feel whats going on inside the boots..... all this when trying to align the terminal to the plug..

90 degree SP wire end terminals  that don't fit tight to the spark plugs is not good IMO.

No spark plug washers are used when installing these Evr-Dry kits with boots and cups.

Bob

C39 T&C Install.JPGTerminals that "click or Snap" onto the plug is a good thing.

019.JPG

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Bob,  I didn't realize that you do not need the plug washers when using the Evr dry kit, but it does make sense as your plug will then be the same distance into the chamber using the normal plug & washer-----good tip , thank you. My evr dry kit is on the way so all this info ahead of time is very helpful. Great picture!  I also have the snap lock clip on order.

Many thanks

Bruce Watson

On 10/30/2016 at 1:13 PM, 47windsor said:

I purchased my 47 Chrysler just over a year ago,at that time it did not have the ever dry package. After a tour last week, i need it.

I haven't come across these things. Why do you "need" them? What is the problem they help with?

My 1930 Dodge Brothers 8 has that spark plug lead conduit. Looks nice but a pain when the leads start to break down and short through it.

Spinneyhill in wet climates Chrysler products were prone to hard starting when cold because of dampness shorting out  the ignition. This was especially bad in models with a hood that opened from the side. Water would drip through the seam in the hood onto the spark plugs. Chrysler's cure was to make special rubber boots that seal the plug completely. They were standard equipment in the forties and early fifties but usually got replaced with conventional plug wires when the car got old. The Everdry kit duplicates the original sealed spark plug covers.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)