1947 V12 overheating. Help?

CatBird

1947 V12 Lincoln Continental --- I cannot run more than 5-6 miles overheating. Also minor backfiring and loss of power at any range Not able to drive in third gear below 40mph

Radiator flush

Pulled both thermostats

IR thermometer shows passenger side head at about 220 degrees Driver side at 200 degrees

Bill,

Could be a timing issue causing the power loss and overheating,  Make sure the plug wires haven't been reversed somehow. I would also check the points closely, as if one set is bad, then your running on 6  instead of 12.  While you are at it, check for any possible vacuum leaks. Lastly, have the water pumps been rebuilt?

Oh yeah, make sure the fan belt it not loose.  You may also have to pull the radiator and take it to a shop that can rod the internal cooling passages, and that is a task in itself as that thing is heavy and awkward to pull up.   Good luck.

Tom

Tom, I will try your ideas I also think the timing may be really retarded. Will try that first and then you ideas about the points 

I have sketchy info about setting the timing Never saw a distributor like this.

How DO you set the timing?  I am much more familiar with 1950s V8 Cadillacs.

If you are popping and backfiring, and running so badly you cant run 3rd at 40, your problem 

is most likely ignition pt failure--Run it in garage lights off, look at wires for arcing, maybe mist a little water

in the area (obviously be cautious)--Ck for spark at all cyl--Condensers are very common on these cars.

(my experience), they seem to dry out and short to ground, killing ign on one side or other..

Popping can also be from very lean fuel, runs hotter and has no power--Shine a light in carb throat while running --look for nice

spray, not drip--car off pump accelerator, look for spray..I am certain you solve this and heating issue will improve-

Points do fail, age and become inoperative, but not very often--condensers dry out and short to ground

killing or causing intermittant issues--Timing is set on pass side of dist, slider up to advance, too much and it will crank

hard and spark knock---Little screw hidden by slider  synchronizes the dual points--dont mess with it--I have played with timing lights, 

2 at once to synch em..better to let one of the LZOC club vendors do it  and be sure--Coil& brushes/should be rebuilt updated if spark is weak--

Read up on ford v-8 tech, it is very similar, we just have 2 of everything 

Fix the poor running condition before trouble shooting the overheating condition, as they may be related.

I agree that Jake is the guy, but his health has been an issue lately. Skip Haney in FL also does the distributors and coils.

http://www.fordcollector.com/

The timing should be set on a distributor machine as the only setting is when one set of points opens.

If the spark is weak, try replacing the condensers first. They fail as open and as shorted.

Edited by 19tom40 (see edit history)

If you have a dwell meter, you can connect it to the condenser terminal on each side of the coil, and check the dwell. It should be 36 degrees on each side of the coil. If it is not that, don't try to adjust the points, have the distributor set up on a machine.

Bill, there is a book on eBay now that you might consider buying, by Ocee Rich about the,Lincoln Continental, there is a section in there about how you can set your points yourself using two 6 inch scales, I have done it several times over the years with great results.  You need good eyes but I can be accomplished, just a thought.