Buick 23-4-39 Back in Action, Running Rough

DaveAspi

Been awhile, but the 23 has been in car show action all summer, getting awards and bringing smiles to everyone. Here's my problem, the Buick is a real crowd pleaser when parked, with the hood open and the valve cover off- people just LOVE seeing the old 4 cylinder engine in action, almost mesmerizing to some. It can sit idling for well over an hour without getting over-heated.

With that being said, do you think I am causing any unforeseen damage, running the engine at low idle for an extended amount of time? Should I be putting a lead additive in the gas? She is running rough now- harder to start than usual, rough idle for quite some time after starting, usually need quite a few foot to floor pedal pumps before I can get a good idle.

Wasn't an issue when I would cruise at 30-40 MPH for an hour or so on the weekends, but now, with the extended low RPM idle it is, should I be doing anything different?

You may have to do some ignition tweeking if you have been running it at slow idle for long periods of time. Not the best thing to do on any engine. No lead additive needed for low compression engines. Check and clean the points, check the cap, rotor,.condenser etc.

Are you running it on the vacuum tank or an electric pump?

• Like 1

Hey Larry's, thanks for the quick responses. Yes, I am running on the original Vacuum canister. check my plugs, and they are getting quite a good carbon build up on them, I will give them a good cleaning. Yes, after a few mikes, everything seems to have "blown" out and it starts to rum smooth again.

As for the low idle for long times- well, it's what the people want- who am I to deny that? :-)

Simple Freshman auto shop stuff then right? Clean the plugs and points.Thought it might be the prolonged idling with unleaded gas.

• Like 1

Dave,good to see you are back on the forum.

A very importent thing to do when the engine is running a long time are  to oil the rocker shaft thru the hols on the top of the rocker arms cover,or the very best is to remove the cover and oil the rocker arms and rocker shafts.

Leif in Sweden.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I will check the plug type next time i'm at the garage. I keep the rockers lubed while doing my demonstration, the crowd really seems to enjoy the simplicity of it all while it's running. Leif, thanks for posting the pictures! It looks exactly the same as it did when I found it 10 years ago, except it runs GREAT now- just having the hiccup with the carbon build up it seems. I have the last Coastal 101 Cruise night in Encinitas (show and shine) of the season tomorrow night, and will post some pictures.

• Like 2