Ignition Coil Resistor

jvelde

The coil bracket on my '39 Buick has a place where the resistor (used to be a canister similar to a condenser) was mounted with a set screw.  Is that type of resistor available anywhere rather than the ceramic styles that don't fit the bracket? I have mine mounted using the set screw hole on the coil bracket and it looks really odd!

Thanks.

Don,

Yes, it was converted to 12 volt in mid 2015 and AC added.  Was still 6 volt when I got it and had no resistor.  I noticed recently the 12 volt coil says it requires a resistor, so I added one.  However, only resistors I found are the ceramic blocks that are rather ugly.  Trying to see if something that appears more period correct is available. 

Thanks,

John V.

They do make round ceramic resistors.  They are high wattage resisters used in old tube type applications.  As I have dinked with old radios off and on I have a box of them somewhere.  Problem is ohm's.  You will require one that is around 1 to 1-1/2 ohm.  That will be hard to find.  Your best bet is to go with old fords suggestion.   Just remember that there is no bypass circuit for an internal resistance coil. 

Edited by Beltfed (see edit history)