Leaky Block, need some advice

Beemon

John,

You were right, removing the flywheel cover did help. I just had to keep working at it to break the seal, twisted and it popped off. Now I'm stuck with the rear main cap...

15032717_10155376520970830_1245744920008

I can already tell this was a poorly done job because the two edge seals are different - one is rope and the other I'm guessing is rubber? There doesn't seem to be any oil on the flywheel, but I still want to pull the cap to be sure. Any tips on dislodging those seals and getting the cap off? Thanks guys.

6 hours ago, EmTee said:

I'd start with Willie's rear main seal restoration tips on his website, if you haven't already read it...  ;)

http://www.buickrestorer.com/rearseal/rearseal.html

I did check Willie's website, he said you need to know how to remove the cap, which I don't. 

I didn't think about threading into the oil pan screw holes, thanks for the heads up! 

So I got the rear main cap off and I'm having a hard time figuring out where it leaked from. It was a rope seal, but the rope seal looks to be cut flush with the cap. I thought a little bit was supposed to protrude from the sides? Also I found out the two seals on the side are indeed the same, they're the rubber caps and it looks like oil was seeping past those as well. Here are some pics.

15036228_10155380253340830_6442262823401

15095017_10155380253710830_5720524457550

15073436_10155380254740830_8607271040299

15036620_10155380255385830_7207288208445

14993494_10155380272465830_1489940625376

14991983_10155380272740830_4104319967846

The back of the cap looks dry but there was some oil there. I don't think it was leaking from the sealed part but rather the top of the cap where the rope seal was cut. I was also under the impression that gasket sealer should be used on the top of the cap to seal the two together, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. I want to do this right, so I'll be following Willie's website religiously.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

Rope seal "excess" at the "joining point" . . . at least initially, prior to assembly, it would seem advantageous that a small amount of rope seal would be "in excess" to allow for compression to help further retain the seal in the groove, once assembled.  Kind of like "the crush" of main and rod bearings, designed-in.  Please keep us advised of your findings and progress.  By the time it's over, perhaps material for a particular "How To" thread?

When Old-Tank was assisting 5563 in getting his first '55 Buick engine (being rebuilt by a machine shop) "right", as I recall (from posts "back then") that the first machine shop didn't know some of the ins-and-outs of building a NailHead Buick engine, so it might have worked decently well, but not "as designed".  Hence the need for taking it to a second machine shop of Old-Tank's determination (from experience).  There can be some commonalities of rebuilding any engine, but in those earlier times, there were some things that Buick did and other OEMs did not, or vice versa  KNOWING all of these little things is important, plus having enough building experience to know what and WHY they did it that way!  And THAT particular knowledge base is decreasing as fast as "old car" salvage yards!

After reading those earlier posts, I had the pleasure of presenting both Old-Tank and 5563 with "achievement awards" at our fall regional show.  First to Old-Tank for his open sharing of information and expertise with younger demographics of the Buick hobby.  Then to 5563 for his "younger generation" enthusiasm of the Buick hobby, assisted by Old-Tank and others, which would surely be passed on to still younger generations of Buick enthusiasts.  I felt their enthusiasm for Buicks spanned a noted gap in the hobby, for which I felt they should be recognized and affirmed "as great".  An orientation which these forums has and will assist well into whatever future might exist!

NTX5467

• Like 2

Willie, I've already damaged the upper seal under the impression it wasn't sealing properly... novice naivety strikes again! Both the bottom and top seals are not flush with the block so I had just assumed they were installed incorrectly. That being said, I'm having difficulty pulling the top seal out. I loosened all of the bearing caps for the crank but I can't get the crank to sag down to push the seal out with a brass punch. I should have just waited for expert opinions but it started raining and I was trying to get it done. 

For the side seals, you used regular gardening twine, correct? 

If you have a gap in the upper seal, cut a section out of the old lower seal and stuff that into the gap.

Install a new lower seal.  Never cut a seal to fit.  Use the supplied seal and bunch it to shorten and then flatten to fit the groove in the cap.  If you don't bunch to shorten or stretch and flatten then when installed the turning crankshaft will bunch and shorten leaving a gap.  Never cut a seal to fit!

• Like 2

I think the next time I do this job, I will pull the engine out of the car. I started Thursday in what time I had between school and work and now I'm just cleaning up the oil pan. It started raining Saturday so I didn't even bother, but Sunday I tried to make a makeshift lean-to and I ended up just getting soaked. I had the day off today and knocked it out following Willie's advice. I just pray it doesn't leak, because at that point I'll just give it to someone else. On a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being the hardest and doing this completely on your back, I'd rate this a good 11.

Thanks for the help, Willie! If it doesn't leak, the next thing I'm going to do is take the valley cover off and clean out that road draft filter.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

Willie, thank you so much for being patient with me and answering questions. I drove the car to the gas station tonight and there wasn't even a hint of oil on the transmission inspection cover or the oil pan or anything. Getting the car to start was a little bit of a bother, as I'm assuming it had to work itself into the rope seal even though it had been pressed pretty good (in my opinion, the car didn't care for it I guess lol). With the tach, it only got up to 2000 rpms, but it behaved at the gas station, whereas before it would have just left a quarter sized puddle. Not a lot I'm sure, but a significant improvement. I'll continue to monitor the rear main, but if it leaks again it's someone else's problem lol.

I'm not sure, it was just hard cranking over for the first 10 seconds. The car wouldn't start, but I think that's because it's cold out and the battery was weak. I had to jump the car to get the starter to spin the engine over fast enough to fire off. I did have to re-tighten all the main bearing caps back to spec since I loosened them so maybe the crank was re-seating itself? After the first 10 seconds, the car was fine.