Early vs late fuel pump

Bhigdog

Thanks guys. I have a late pump on my 55 but picked up an early rebuilt unit at a show today. I was hoping they would interchange OK. The rebuilt unit is still in the box but has been sitting for God knows how long. I suspect the diaphrams etc might be a little too old to trust. Any opinions?.............Bob

12 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

10% ethanol. I wonder about the effect of the ethanol on older type compound rubber diaphrams. Then again I hate to spring for an $80 rebuild kit if I don't need to...............Bob

Trouble is they you only need the fuel diaphragms (leave the valves and vacuum diaphragms alone), but they will only sell the whole kit.  I got around some of that on the later pump (dome top) by ordering a kit for a 322 used in Chevy trucks (no vacuum section) which was a little cheaper.

I bet if you had some fuel pumps from common makes, the internals would be the same (only differences would be clocking and actuating arms).

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Trouble is they you only need the fuel diaphragms (leave the valves and vacuum diaphragms alone), but they will only sell the whole kit.  I got around some of that on the later pump (dome top) by ordering a kit for a 322 used in Chevy trucks (no vacuum section) which was a little cheaper.

I bet if you had some fuel pumps from common makes, the internals would be the same (only differences would be clocking and actuating arms).

Hmmmm. Good to know. I'll check with my NAPA store. They've saved every paper book and catalog they've ever had....................Bob

On 9/11/2016 at 4:44 PM, old-tank said:

For the fuel pump check Mudbone's 66R resto and dyna1955 on YouTube for videos.

The pumps are interchangeable as a units, but many of the parts are not (cannot be mixed)

Post 385:  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/158899-55-century-66r-project/?page=13

That's right

The parts between the two fuel pumps won't interchange.

But, the pumps are interchangeable for the engine.  I've used both types on mine ,

With no difference in performance 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2016 at 8:25 PM, Bhigdog said:

10% ethanol. I wonder about the effect of the ethanol on older type compound rubber diaphrams. Then again I hate to spring for an $80 rebuild kit if I don't need to...............Bob

I would check with Terill machine in Texas. I don't think they charge much more than that for rebuilding.  I've seen them on the internet advertised 120.00 for new rebuilds.

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

I just rolled over and ordered one from my NAPA store. $150 but I don't have to pay to ship cores back and forth and if something isn't right they will take care of it for me. Thanks everyone for the info............Bob

DId they issue your new title also?  Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler!

• Like 1

Rebuilt, core required. Didn't inquire further other than asking my regular guys if they could get a rebuilt for me. About the same price as Fusic, more than EBay sellers, but my NAPA guys have always been there for me so that's where I went. BTW, a post mortem on my pump showed diaphragms no cracks or leak evidence but the valves seemed iffy................Bob