1936 Plymouth P2 Transmission/E Brake assembly pictures

Randiego

Help,  
I recently purchased a 1936 P2 Touring Sedan which was in remarkable condition considering that it is 80 years of age. However, there was clutch "chatter" and there was grinding with the gear selector in 2nd and 3rd.  Time for repairs.  Before I pulled the transmission, I took extensive photos (on my cell phone cam) and proceeded with the dismantling of the drive train.  What is great about this year;  it is not an enclosed "torque tube" but an exposed drive shaft with easy access for removal.  I got the tranny to my buddy who owns a transmission shop and he tore it down.  We observed that the synchro was a drum or "hub"  I was lucky to track down a N.O.S. (his last one) replacement plus the seals and gaskets.  It did not need any other small parts and the bearings were in great shape.  The throw out bearing was in great shape due to the "umbilical" flex grease tube with the cap that allows you to turn  it at service intervals to keep it lubed.  Either the first or second owner caused the issues with the clutch and the transmission due to the low mileage (73,+).  

We got the transmission back together, however, my camera phone was stolen and I no longer have the all important pictures to reference how the e brake and linkage go back together.  As anyone out there knows on this car,  THERE ARE A LOT OF PARTS and many connections.  It is something that you cannot guess at.  Otherwise it is trial and error with many hours spent trying to figure out this puzzle.  

The rest of the car is all original except for the soft top was re done albeit with newer and better materials than the original factory top.  I have ordered new running boards made here in California and I will repaint two fenders that have small damage.  And finally, I found an original 8" fog light to go with the driving lights that cam on the car. And last but not least, I found on Ebay a Firestone radio (by stewart Warner) that is in great shape and works. Other than that, that is the extent that I am going to do to the car (other than routine maintenance and any repairs that are needed).

Before I order a parts manual, I want to be sure that it will detail this area of the transmission, e brake assembly and linkage. IN DETAIL.  Is there an online manual that can be referenced?  I do not mind getting a parts manual to go with my original service manual but that will take time to get it and I would like to get my Plymouth back on the road by this weekend if possible.  If anyone out there has a minute, I would appreciate a call to assist me with this issue.  I am in Oceanside, CA and my cell (replacement) phone number is;  (760) 533-7540.  Thank you.

Randy      

P.S.  I am joining the Plymouth Owners Club today. Hopefully, it will lead me to fellow owners of mid 30's Plymouths.  I am into stock, original cars.    

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randiego said:

P.S.  I am joining the Plymouth Owners Club today. Hopefully, it will lead me to fellow owners of mid 30's Plymouths.  I am into stock, original cars.    

Very nice looking car!

I don't have parking brake images specifically of the '36 models but they generically much the same from at least '33 (and I think '28) up for a number of years. If the PDF posted by hwellens is not sufficient and I'll scan the ones I have for '33 and '34. I am now retired and just on the other side of Camp Pendleton from you so might even be able to drop on down and help first hand.

Thank you to all who have responded.  My Transmission guy has been off for three weeks with a back injury.  He was the one who dismantled the transmission and the E brake.  He knew that I wanted the car done by this weekend and he surprised me by popping in yesterday.  It took him an hour to remember how the assembly went back together but finally he prevailed.  From here I can manage.  I am posting pictures of the E Brake assembly for those out there who may have had the same problem.  

I need to get a parts for my car.  I was told that I should get the later or latest one as they are the best with illustrations showing the break down of the particular parts and assemblies. Does any one know of a particular publication that is the best for the mid 30's cars?  GM is very detailed in their parts books.  I have a 36 Pontiac Master 6 Coupe that I will be doing at a later date. The first thing I did was get a parts book for reference (plus a ton of pictures).  

LESSON TO ALL:  Download you pictures regularly to avoid what I just went through ! ! !

Be sure to replace the gasket between the transmission and the bell housing. (a thin one).   Should a gasket sealer be used on it?  I know that the top of the transmission to the front is open and goes into the bell housing.  Much different than GM and other cars.  Quite a unique design. Even the shifter portion is open to the front.  Wonder what the engineers were thinking on that one?  To Ply 33.  I have the Plymouth service manual that I got with the car. The pictures that are in this publication are not clear like the ones that you attached to your response.  What manual did you get those pictures from?  I need to know if there is a better manual out there than the D-10974? The pictures are not very clear and crisp like the ones that you attached to your response.

What is great about the Forum and all the Plymouth guys out there.  Great camaraderie.  We gear heads stick together !  I am a purist.  I do not intend for this to be "hot roded".

I really respect the early designs, albeit sometimes primitive.  One must think of the thirties as a "leap" in technologies from the 20's.  These cars were starting to be more comfortable and more reliable (with proper care).  The fact that my car has over 70K plus miles on it and the engine has never been apart and runs great is testament to that.

I have taken pictures of the assembly however my computer is not allowing (for some reason) me to attach the pictures to this post.  If I can find out what the problem is I will post them at a later date.  They are pretty detailed and it shows the assembly clean and precise.

Again, thank you all for your help.\

Randy

3 hours ago, Randiego said:

. . . To Ply 33.  I have the Plymouth service manual that I got with the car. The pictures that are in this publication are not clear like the ones that you attached to your response.  What manual did you get those pictures from?  I need to know if there is a better manual out there than the D-10974? The pictures are not very clear and crisp like the ones that you attached to your response. . .

Its the '36-'42 Plymouth Factory Service Manual. Has the number D-10974 on the spine so I guess it is the same as yours. Is yours a reprint or reproduction? That might be the issue as mine is an original.

That is a nice looking car, wish mine was in that shape. The Dodges and Plymouths are similar and do share some parts, mostly mechanical. It's interesting how much lower the tailights are on the Plymouth as compared to the Dodge 4 door. many subtle changes, the same but different! The front bearing retainer covers the main shaft bearing and has a drain tube built in to drain any oil that may escape. I always rebuild using sealed bearings to eliminate leakage. I always use a little sealant on all gaskets but I'm not sure that it's absolutely essential on the case gasket. You should have a lot of fun with that car!

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

ply 33,

It looks like the original, however, the photos are not as clear as yours, so it must be a reprint.  I have another Service manual from Australia.  It is exactly as the original service manual except is says Chrysler Australia Limited on the front.  It is printed on glossy, heavy stock (cover) and the printing, illustrations and photos are very crisp and clear.  Had I had this manual when I was trying to re assemble the e brake, it would have been easier.  Thank you for your help.

Randy 

Ply 33,

Eureka !  In the box of extra parts that I got with the Plymouth was a Service manual that is from Australia.  It is the same as the American version except that it is crisp and clean with photos and illustrations.  You were right.  The other manual that I have is a reprint, albeit "official looking" right down to the red, white and blue cover.  However, the illustrations and photos are very poor, barely discernible.   The Aussie manual is the answer.  Thanks again.

Randy 

I have another question.  My trunk lid has two large carriage (mounted in the lower center of the trunk lid) bolts that were painted over by the painter.  You can see them in the picture of the rear of the car. Was there anything mounted on the trunk from the factory or is that something an owner added at one time?  I will be repainting the fenders and headlight nacelles. They are scratched and the fenders have dings and bumps in them.  I will be removing them this winter and attending to them.  While I am at it, if the bolts in the trunk are not factory original, those will be removed and filled in.  I wonder if there was some sort of "carrier" or luggage rack that was available back in the 30's that the car owner could have mounted on the trunk? 

Any help will be appreciated.

Randy