1936 Dodge D2 dash question

Guest Mr.Memory Lane

Guest Mr.Memory Lane

Hello 

Have a quick question.  So I have a 36 D2 2 door convertible and my dash looks a little different then others I've seen online.  Some have some chrome looking strips 1 other I've seen is like mine.  Any owners of  36 have any dash pictures they would like to share.  Thanks for your time.  Also looking for knobs  if anyone knows anything.. 

Screenshot_2016-07-12-20-53-25-1.png

Edited by Mr.Memory Lane
Had to add some more (see edit history)

Every original 1936 Dodge I have ever seen has the same dash as John has posted pictures of.  I have seen a lot of 1936's with repainted dashes and have seen several that have had the woodgraining redone, but the only original way that I have seen is the one in the pictures from John.  I have a 1936 RS CP and when I get to the restoration of the dash, it will be with all the lines and the darker wood grain.  I also have several original brochures and all show the same ornate dash in them.

Not positive how things were on the more upscale makes produced by Chrysler Corporation, but on Plymouth the convertible dashes were painted body color while the closed cars had the faux woodgraining. Was this also true on Dodge?

I believe that all '36 Dodge passenger cars came with the same style dash finish. The original is a darker walnut grain with similar decals on the doors and gauge panel as pictured above.  Almost every car I have ever seen has the incorrect finish on the dash, except the correctly restored ones, due to ignorance of the original style or lack of money. The correct decals may still be available and if you're interested please PM me and I'll give you the man's name who makes them. The knobs on your car appear to incorrect also. Original knobs are made from a whitish marbled plastic material with a chrome ring around the outer rim and a chrome letter in the center denoting the function. I have had a set remade by D & D Automobilia years ago but the are difficult to cast. Commercial dashes were finished with paint matching the color schemes  listed for commercial vehicles. I did look at my parts book and found no notation for the standard dash for the convertible coupe or the convertible sedan. I think that the panel itself is different but I think the finish was the same. Memory, in the second photo you posted you can see the cowl vent handle knob well and all the other knobs look the same, although the knob looks to be missing it's outer chrome ring. The other knobs have been changed.

058.JPG

13 hours ago, ply33 said:

Not positive how things were on the more upscale makes produced by Chrysler Corporation, but on Plymouth the convertible dashes were painted body color while the closed cars had the faux woodgraining. Was this also true on Dodge?

My 1932 DL has a black dash with a separate wood-grained trim piece above it.  The dash is part of the body, welded in, while the upper trim piece bolts into place.  A little hard to see in this pix, but you get the idea.  I'm not sure if cars with colored bodies had a black dash or the color of the car.  I suspect the color of the car.  I'm sure Phil Kennedy will chime in as he has a gray painted body on his car.

IMG_1384.JPG

Just found a shot of Phil's car and I can just see his black dash in the lower part of the photo.  So I guessed wrong - gray car, black dash.

IMG_1402.JPG

One other thing, there are only three dash knobs on a '36 Dodge, the headlights, dashlights and throttle. There may be a cigar lighter on the dummy door if the car had the smoking set accessory. Any other dash knobs are extra add ons.

In looking over the parts book, I did see that the 4 door touring sedan, for some reason had a black transfer available for the instrument panels as an option to the grained transfers. They also had a Lochinvar gray and Cedarbird color option for the dashes. One for a "B" prefix paint code and the other for "A" prefix code. I have not seen any examples of either option only the grained finish. I don't know why there is no listing for a dash panel for the convertible or the convertible sedan in my parts book.