Dakota Digital dash for '63 - 65 RIviera

RivNut

Has anyone seen this in a car or even know that it exists?

VHX-63B-RIV: 1963- 65 Buick Riviera VHX Instruments

It's from Dakota Digital.  You can find it on eBay or on D D's website. It's complete with senders, et al. You have to use your own bezels so it looks pretty much like it's at least partly factory.   There's a digital clock under the tach and an analog clock between the two bezels.  No need for two clocks, so I asked the question if they had a shift quadrant indicator that could be installed in place of the analog clock.  It's advertised for all three years so I contacted them about the difference between the 45 and 90 ohm fuel sender.  They answered that it was programmable at the time of installation.  I'll update the thread when I get an answer about the gear indicator.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

In my struggle to figure out where to mount aftermarket gauges, searched online for ideas. Then, a few months ago I stumbled upon those gauges also. I had never heard of Dakota Digital. But who am I…nobody. That pic is a little deceiving. I originally thought u get what u see pictured. NOT. They are selling ONLY the gauges, wiring & computer module. Like Ed said u reuse your bezels to secure the new gauges into your existing dash. They are a little pricey. But in my opinion that's money well spent.

I googled reviews on their products & people seem to be happy. Since my original search peaked my interest, now I seem to see Dakota Digital logos & ads displayed on TV shows I watch & magazines I read. Go figure. I'm guessing they've been around for a while I just haven't had an interested for gauges & now I am. 

Now to answer your question: have I seen the gauges in a car? YES. To top seeing Dakota Digital ads everywhere my neighbor built a sweet convertible 67 Camaro. One night he pulled up & asked if I wanted to take a drive. Of coarse, I jumped in & DAMN that car is fast haha. It turns out he's got those exact gauges & he loves them. Well, I didn't measure them to see if they are the exact same size. But to my eyes they look identical.

A cool detail he shared was that when the gauges want u to know something important is happening (i.e. low oil, high temp etc) there are bright red LED lights that flash to get your attention. 

With the little bit I've learned about these gauges, I'm sold…I will probably end up with a set

Dakota Digital is really big into the upscale hot rod market.  Their purpose is not to provide you with modern technology that looks stock.  If you look at their website you'll see clusters all sorts of makes/models that guys are modifying.  Digital instruments in a '32 Ford roadster?  This is the place to go.  New appearing stock looking 1st generation gauges - look for a reputable restorer.

If you look closely at the details in their ad, you'll see that everything is controlled through a module to which all of the senders are connected. The module then sends the proper information to the gauges.

There are other companies out there who make 5" round 'quad' gauges that can be fitted into your dash, but this is the first kit that I've seen that's been designed to be fit to the Riviera's OE dash panel.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I don't know what brand these are but they are what Galen S. used in his Modified '65 GS several years ago.

P7300036.JPG

P7300037.JPG

I thought they were pretty sharp.

You might check with him about what brand they are if you're interested?

Since I don't know anything about them I'm not sure if they do the plug and play or not but you could check with Galen, I'm sure he can tell you.

I know Dakota Digital since two years 'cos I needed new gauges for my Yamaha 1300 XJR, they have a lot of products also for Motorbikes! I've also seen the gauges Ed spoke about as I was seeking for some LEDs for my 65Riv two month ago... Looks good, but I don't think I would like to implement such digital gauges into my Riv, I think its not the spirit of 1965! ???

Sure, if you want to transform your Riviera in a Hotrod, they would look very fine and cool, and the quality of Dakota Digital is just awesome!!! (...but in that case, I can only speak for my bikes gauges, I would buy them again!)

if you are looking for Dakota Digital gauges, I recommand to check out the web and not to buy by he first provider you find, the price differences where from 10% up to 30% (wich is too much in my oppinion!) 

On August 24, 2016 at 0:34 AM, bodayguy said:

You lose all the circular design in the stock ones.

The 65's don't have the cool stock circular accents in our gauges that the 63 & 64 guys have. Guys with the 65's wouldn't "lose" much. But we would gain a lot if u don't mind swaying away from original. 

…I don't mind :)

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:30 PM, Schmiddy said:

Looks good, but I don't think I would like to implement such digital gauges into my Riv, I think its not the spirit of 1965! ???

Eric, I believe they are talking about the VHX series analog style gauges (pictured). I've used both types in cars I've built and they are good quality piece's. The problem I have found with the digital is they are difficult to see when daylight comes from a 'difficult' angle. The VHX series are always easy to read and well illuminated.

Steve

2 minutes ago, smithbrother said:

Dakota HAS lens colors that work well in the sunlight.

My first setup was with each gauge a different color lens, some WERE hard to read in sun, so picked a color that works, and I IS A HAPPY CAMPER.

Dale in Indy

Mine are the blueish ones. What color worked for you?

Steve

On 27. August 2016 at 7:38 PM, slosteve said:

Eric, I believe they are talking about the VHX series analog style gauges (pictured). I've used both types in cars I've built and they are good quality piece's. The problem I have found with the digital is they are difficult to see when daylight comes from a 'difficult' angle. The VHX series are always easy to read and well illuminated.

Steve

Yes Steve, I know ? ...In my oppinion (and its just the way I think), a classic car from the sixties wich is not transformed into a hotrod shoudn't have any digital elements on the dashboard (not even the watch nor the odo meter ??). In my mind, for a classic, every technology who wasn't present at that time shouldn't be aparent (same for radio, speakers etc.)

In my Riv, I tried to hide everything wich is not original from 1965 ?

That said, I have a lot of new tec built in... ??

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)