Fuel Gauge 1928 Chrysler 62

maok

You will need to treat that little bugger with Kid Gloves as the pot metal breaks very easily  Take extra care when reattaching the front pivot plate Those two pot metal posts are fragile  Most gauges that don't work have suffered from one of these breaking and then the pointer jams up Sorry I can't help you with the position of the pointer the  

Thanks gents.

You are indeed correct in needing to be very gentle with it, but it does seem to feel fairly solid, I hope...:(

This gauge was working  'okay' before the needle broke off. I say 'okay' because it has 12v running through it rather than 6v (a resistor may fix that issue), and hence the position of the needle did not correlate  with the level of the fuel in the tank. But, also the sender may have some issues with it as well.

The only issue at this stage is that the needle has broken off at the spindle, but never seeing where it was attached ie. looking from above the spindle, where in the 360o position it needs to be attached. I am reasonably confident of how the spindle sits between the two electro-magnets in the casing.

If anyone has a spare laying about and would be kind enough to open it up and take pics of it, I, and others in the future would much appreciate it. But be careful when removing the face of the gauge, the needle would need to be bent up straight for the face to be removed ( two screws only), it is VERY fragile.

I have a instrument builder here in my home city, but like all instrument builders/restorers, charge two arms and two legs. Which is fair enough, they are not doing it for 'love'.

But if any instrument restorer is listening, your help would be much appreciated.

Otherwise, I will have to do some experimenting by bench testing to see how it moves.