sae 250 transmission oil HELP

FrankWest107

Guest Grumpy's Auto Shop

Do you have any idea what is in the gearbox currently?

AFAIK 600w should be the correct spec fluid, but you may have other issues.

Guest Grumpy's Auto Shop

Mmmm...  Definitely too thin.  Maybe you could get away with it by adding Lucas to make it stickier, but why bother?

More than worrying about formulation, it is the WEIGHT that matters most.  Anything below 100w is probably going to have noticeable issues.

And remember that when the Manual was written there were no Multi-Viscosity oils. (Also, are you really going to drive it in the Winter?  (Sure, a person would in the '30s, but today, not so much).

I drained out the 80 with MMO and added just added the 80 gear oil I have and noticed that I shifting into 1st was much nicer..I guess with heavy oil 1st gear stops spinning and is easier to get into. I ordered 600 w from Mac's...Is that really 140w and not 250 w.

You are right I will be doing most driving in the hot weather so I want to add the nheavest oil I can get.

NO MANUFACTURER EVER PUT A SYNCHRONIZER ON REVERSE. the only company to put a synchronized low in a 3 speed transmission was Ford in the early 60's'

It's useless unless your driving requires you to use low as a "driving" gear where you shift from 2 nd to !st on the fly.

I would think you would want second and high synchronized. Ford didn't do that until 1935.

I suggest you fill the transmission to the proper level with 140 w. gear oil.

True 600-W is very dark, smelly and very viscous--this is what I use in non-synchronized transmissions and non-hypoid differentials.  However, some vendors represent a honey-colored, lighter-weight oil as "600-W" but I suspect the honey-colored offerings are merely re-packaged SAE-140 gear oil.

I've read that the true 600-W is about SAE 180 to 200, but can't tell you where I saw it--Skinned Knuckles?  I've used up the last of my Texaco Thuban SAE 250 gear oil (is it still available?) which to me (based on it taking a few minutes to permit easy shifting in 70 degree weather) seems heavier than 600-W.

A major part of the misunderstandings in oil is the habit of calling an oil 600W when it is NOT. I expect it is really an oil of kinematic viscosity 600 cSt at 40 deg. C. The Capital W is an SAE rating tool so should not be used for anything else. It refers to how the oil performs at low temperatures.

Look up oil viscosity comparison charts (e.g. www.Bobistheoilguy.com). You will see that 600 cSt kinematic viscosity at 40 deg. C correlates with SAE 140 gear oil and is probably close to ISO 600. "Weight" is not involved.

It would be far better if we all used ONLY SAE viscosity ratings, then there would be no confusion like always arises when we discuss oil.

Why? It is a viscosity enhancer so why bother? Just use an oil of the viscosity you want.

I would be very careful; it may have things in it that are not good for the bronze bushes in the transmission. The MSDS may tell you whether it does or not: look for the copper strip corrosion test.