Installing USB charging ports

BuickBoss

Has anyone tried installing USB charging ports in their Riv? I know we're all about classic and original here but having your phone as navigation and other devices charging is super valuable when you're on a long road trip or in an unfamiliar area.

My cigarette lighter under the dash doesn't work but I guess I could repair that. But I was hoping to have a dedicated, hardwired outlet or outlets installed somewhere discreet. Is this pretty straight forward to set up?

We have cigarette lighter to USB adapters in another vehicle that will recharge phone and I-pads. These plug straight into a standard socket, retain all original. This is what I will have in my Riv when I redo the lighters that currently are not working.

You can see in the photo the double adapter and a double USB adapter that we use.

just mtbw

Rodney

image.jpeg

The cigar lighter in your probably isn't what you want to use anyway.  You might consider removing the entire cigarette lighter assembly and replacing it with something like this.  You could use the existing 12V + and then ground it within the console.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-USB-Car-Cigarette-12V-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Charger-Power-Adapter-Outlet-/351758478552

I'm betting that you could find these somewhere besides on eBay too.

Ed

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:36 AM, RivNut said:

The cigar lighter in your probably isn't what you want to use anyway.  You might consider removing the entire cigarette lighter assembly and replacing it with something like this.  You could use the existing 12V + and then ground it within the console.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-USB-Car-Cigarette-12V-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Charger-Power-Adapter-Outlet-/351758478552

I'm betting that you could find these somewhere besides on eBay too.

Ed

Hmm, interesting. Didn't know such a product existed. Thanks.

But out of curiosity, why don't you recommend not using the existing socket (provided that I repair the wiring)?

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:53 AM, rodneybeauchamp said:

We have cigarette lighter to USB adapters in another vehicle that will recharge phone and I-pads. These plug straight into a standard socket, retain all original. This is what I will have in my Riv when I redo the lighters that currently are not working.

You can see in the photo the double adapter and a double USB adapter that we use.

just mtbw

Rodney

image.jpeg

When you "redo the lighters" are you just rewiring or are you replacing the whole assembly?

I have a Takata airbag I took out of a Honda Civic in a junkyard....does anybody know how I can fit this to

my stock 65 Riviera steering wheel without making the car look modified.....also, if I do get in an accident, will the shrapnel

damage my perfect original seat covers and headliner? LOL!

1 hour ago, BuickBoss said:

Hmm, interesting. Didn't know such a product existed. Thanks.

But out of curiosity, why don't you recommend not using the existing socket (provided that I repair the wiring)?

The original lighter has a weird fuse built into the end of the socket.  I think its original purpose was to blow and prevent a malfunctioning cigar lighter from setting the car on fire.  I imagine it might do the same thing with continuous use.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Hi Buickboss,

as Ed states the weird fuse system they use has them not working but I haven't done any circuit testing yet to see what the fault is, socket or element. 

I intend to replace it with a standard 3AG fuse and heavy dutyholder for the sole purpose of powering phones and I-pads etc. hoping I can repair what is there. Sure out of two I should be able to get one working. Hopefully both.

Chances are the wiring itself is good.  Pull the ash tray and put a test light on the wire between the harness and the weird fuse.  If you have 12V there, use it.  Because the replacement is mounted in plastic, you'll need to run a dedicated ground wire.  If that wire is good, and there's no fuse in the fuse box, then there will be a need for an in line fuse.  Keep us posted. 

I just noticed the picture in your avatar.  I've been making reference to a first generation Riviera; you own something other than a 63, 64, or 65.  I don't know what advice to give to you.  I don't think the later cars like you have have that weird fuse all of us have been making reference to.  

It always helps to identify what year car you have if you don't have that info in your signature. I'm now one of those guys who fall into the "ass u me" category. ? I just assumed.......

Let me ask a stupid question; not that it relates to any specific brand or model, but how does an adaptor that plugs into a lighter, convert, or change, what to me looks like a heating element, into a charging port? How does a simple heating element go from generating heat, to becoming a charger? I know they've been around forever, and I've used them many times. But how do they work?

37 minutes ago, rocky5517 said:

Let me ask a stupid question; not that it relates to any specific brand or model, but how does an adaptor that plugs into a lighter, convert, or change, what to me looks like a heating element, into a charging port? How does a simple heating element go from generating heat, to becoming a charger? I know they've been around forever, and I've used them many times. But how do they work?

Been a while since I've looked closely at one as all the new cars have "charging ports" that specifically say don't put a lighter into it. But I think the socket in the dash is simply a plug with a hot center contact and the outer casing being grounded. The heater element itself was in the removable portion and was designed to pop out a little when hot thus disconnecting itself and simultaneously letting you know it was hot enough to light your cigarette.

So basically the part in the dash is a simple (relatively) high current plug providing 12v nominal voltage and a bunch of things have made use of that over the years with the more recent ones being USB charging adaptors. And all the USB adaptors do is reduce the 12v car electrical system voltage to the 5v needed by a USB device.

Welp I fixed the cigarette lighter. It turns out that the wiring clip slipped off the prong on the back of the lighter cylinder. 

I'm just going to buy a device similar to the one RodneyBeauchamp shows in his first post (on the left) and call it a day. I didn't know they have ones that are so neat and tidy now!