Stuck drain plug

Hubert_25-25

Many of you folks know this trick, but it took me a long time and a lot of effort to remove the drain plug on my gas tank.  Only tool to start with was a pair of vise grips as there was not much of a head on the squared end plug.   I was afraid that I might twist off the entire soldered drain fitting.  That one finally came loose.  I could not budge the drain plug on the vacuum tank either, even after a long soak with penetrating oil.   I put the hand dolly on one side, and went around the threaded fitting with a ball peen hammer.  The plug then screwed right off.   Impact magic.  Best thing is that I did not break any solder joints or twist the vacuum can into a ball.

I will replace these steel plugs with brass plugs.   

Hugh

drain plug removal.jpg

• Like 3

Hopefully with today's cleaner and drier gas you'll never have cause to get the plug out again.

Ours had a series of pinholes around the plug and it was a case of soldering up the holes and a good coat of epoxy on the bottom of the inside of the tank for secondary protection and a coat of paint on the outside and it's working perfectly again and the repair is virtually undetectable. 

• Like 2

I usually Sand Blast them inside and then coat the inside with Gas Tank Sealer just to be safe. If done right it will last for years. The Hammer trick is pretty much a given while working on old stuff. I do it all the time and kind of take it for granted that everyone should know that trick. But so many don't. If the part can be carried I find my old anvil works well to back it up. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave
Never Did get no A Fer spellin or gramer.... (see edit history)
  • Like 1