1937 90 limousine uk

Guest stevesbuicklimo

If it was in the states it would be a lot less. The mechanical changes would actually lower the value and the rear axle problems would even lower it more. The non original Buick paint color that is no longer flawless would not help either as far as price goes. Over here the car would have an asking price of about 25000 in my opinion. 

Edited by LAS VEGAS DAVE (see edit history)

Guest stevesbuicklimo

I also think the price is ambitious to be honest.i find the 90l a bit difficult to put a price on, i paid approx 15000 dollars for my mclaughlin  36 90l in excellent condition 10 years back,id like to think it has gone up in value a little.

WP_20160313_14_23_13_Pro.jpg

I'd argue that a '41 90L is much more desirable and valuable, and if I could get 3/4 that much for mine, I'd do a ridiculous little dance in the street. I think if he wants top dollar, he needs to figure out how to put the sidemount covers back on--it really looks naked without them.

On the other hand, I'd sure like to know who built those exhaust headers for him so I could acquire a set...

DSC_8727a.jpgTogether2a.jpg

• Like 1

Guest stevesbuicklimo

The limo didnt reach its reserve bids went upto 31748 dollars which i think is a fair price

Guest stevesbuicklimo

Nice to know they can reach that kind of money, mine has doubled in value according to that figure although not for sale?

Edited by stevesbuicklimo (see edit history)

There are several points with this car which have been overlooked.

First is it's location. For a UK based purchaser this has to add many thousands of dollars to it's value. If a UK purchaser was looking at a similar car in the US for say $25 to $30K the cost of transporting to a US port and then shipping to the UK has to be factored in to the cost. In addition to that I think imported vehicles to the UK attract some hefty import duties and VAT?  Perhaps stevesbuicklimo could confirm what these charges would amount to on say a $30K vehicle import.

The other factor is that the car is factory built RHD.I know in Australia this does have some bearing on the vehicle value, especially if it is to be used commercially. Much easier to drive a wedding party around the streets of UK cities sitting on the correct side of the car and using the correct hand to change gears!!

I note whenever RHD cars are advertised in the USA there are grumblings about sitting on the wrong side and the inevitable comment that that fact will reduce the cars value.

So the reverse should apply in this case - Factory RHD being sold in a country which drives on that side of the road is a plus and value adds. 

My view is that this car is worth more than a US counterpart WHERE IT SITS AND TO A UK BUYER.

If I had a wedding or limo hire business my major haggling point would be the rear end. Looking at the under hood modifications which are professional and expensive I'm at a loss to understand why a new crown wheel and pinion weren't sourced by the current owner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 50jetback said:

There are several points with this car which have been overlooked.

First is it's location. For a UK based purchaser this has to add many thousands of dollars to it's value. If a UK purchaser was looking at a similar car in the US for say $25 to $30K the cost of transporting to a US port and then shipping to the UK has to be factored in to the cost. In addition to that I think imported vehicles to the UK attract some hefty import duties and VAT?  Perhaps stevesbuicklimo could confirm what these charges would amount to on say a $30K vehicle import.

The other factor is that the car is factory built RHD.I know in Australia this does have some bearing on the vehicle value, especially if it is to be used commercially. Much easier to drive a wedding party around the streets of UK cities sitting on the correct side of the car and using the correct hand to change gears!!

I note whenever RHD cars are advertised in the USA there are grumblings about sitting on the wrong side and the inevitable comment that that fact will reduce the cars value.

So the reverse should apply in this case - Factory RHD being sold in a country which drives on that side of the road is a plus and value adds. 

My view is that this car is worth more than a US counterpart WHERE IT SITS AND TO A UK BUYER.

If I had a wedding or limo hire business my major haggling point would be the rear end. Looking at the under hood modifications which are professional and expensive I'm at a loss to understand why a new crown wheel and pinion weren't sourced by the current owner.  

I can't argue with any of that--you're exactly right about it being in the right country for what it is. There surely can't be many of them available in England. So an apples-to-apples comparison isn't quite fair when one of the apples is an orange!

I still want his exhaust header.

Guest stevesbuicklimo

I dont know the history of the car which was advertised but if it is like my 36 buick mine has been in the uk since new.It was imported by Lendrum and Heartman at around the same time as king Edward v111 Buick https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15348/lot/706/&ved=0ahUKEwj1_b-ox-TNAhXlL8AKHTS2CgQQFggeMAA&usg=AFQjCNFQ7zyfSKyLxyhsZACgyAH3QewYPg these cars were built in Canada  by mclaughlin.So import duty really isnt a factor on price as i see it, unless the car has good provenance i think 31748 dollars was a fair price.i suppose being a Mclaughlin Buick makes the car quite a bit rarer than its US counterparts in production numbers so may push the price up a little who knows.

Edited by stevesbuicklimo (see edit history)

4 hours ago, stevesbuicklimo said:

these cars were built in Canada  by mclaughlin.So import duty really isnt a factor on price as i see it

Has to be a factor if you are comparing a similar car to purchase today which is located in the US, or Australia or Canada or South Africa or New Zealand and importing it to the UK.

There are transport costs and import duties to be added if you purchased the same model and imported it into the UK.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Guest stevesbuicklimo

Agreed but what i was implying if the cars were imported here when new 80 years ago surley the import duty shouldnt add to the value that much at todays import prices.In the 60s quite a few of these large imported cars got scrapped due to running cost which makes them quite rare  over this side of the pond ,maybe that has a factor in price differnce between here and the US.

1 hour ago, stevesbuicklimo said:

Agreed but what i was implying if the cars were imported here when new 80 years ago surley the import duty shouldnt add to the value that much at todays import prices.

Presumably we are talking about a prospective buyer in the UK?

If he has his heart set on a prewar 90 Series Buick his options in the UK are limited - the advertised 1937 in discussion and how many others?

If there are no other suitable vehicles available in the UK he will have to look elsewhere, in this instance the USA. He may locate a suitable prewar 90 Series limo and purchase it for $25K or $30K which seems to be the value in the USA.

To get his acquisition to the UK he has to pay transport costs, both road and sea. Added to that will be any customs, importation fees, duties and VAT which I am led to believe are substantial. So to compare prices these costs have to be factored in and the car may now have cost $35 to $40K landed and licensed in the UK and ready to take the bride to her wedding, and would be driving from the wrong side of the car!!

• 1 year later...

Hi guys thought I would bring this post back up to the top. We have just bought the 37 Buick 90L that was in the ebay advert . We didn't pay anywhere near the original asking price that was quoted here by the original poster.
It's a very nice car, still exactly the same as when it was on ebay a year ago. Still has a broken diff  which I was just doing some research on and ended up here.

The restoration was a long way from a full resto, the paint is indeed very nice and is still as fresh as it was when it was done 11 years ago, same goes for all the chrome. The underside hasn't really been touched and although still very good with no rust issues that I have found so far it hasn't got a touch of paint on it, definitely a job to be done.

Just had the diff cover off and it's lost pretty much 2 full teeth from the pinion. It came with a very good spare identical diff ready to install.

The guy we bought it from was the same guy who had it for sale last year. It belonged to his father and they had it restored so his father could enjoy his retirement with it. His father sadly passed away four years ago and it's taken him this long to let it go. Possibly why the high asking price as he really didn't want to sell it. He got quite emotional when we bought it a couple of weeks ago.

It is now going to be used in my wifes new business venture as a wedding car.

It wasn't running great when it turned up on Saturday , running rich and smoking badly ( both black and blue smoke ). It had a terrible flat spot just of idle as well. I played around with the holley that they had installed and found that the accelerator pump was not coming in until almost 1/2 throttle. I altered the cam to lever settings and played with it for a bit and it now runs pretty good. It was flooding up as well as the float height wasn't set properly , reset that and it looks to have cured the richness, it's also cured almost all the smoking so I reckon the flooding was washing the bores a bit and causing it to burn oil.

I have a new set of plugs on order and going to give it a full oil change and see how it goes.

Paul.

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

• Like 1

I'm in the UK .

The old Buick is in good company as it currently shares it's stable with Beverly's 37 Ford coupe, 37 Dodge coupe and my 37 Zephyr coupe. There is also a 57 Lincoln Premiere which we have just purchased that will be on its way over from the states to be used as a wedding car alongside the 37 Buick. Beverly also has a 49 Ford V8 Pilot that I will be restoring that will also be used.

I run my own business restoring classics so the work and maintenance isn't an issue.

Paul.

• Like 1