Bennet Buick in Wayland NY, since 1921

MrEarl

Nice web site, and the Bennetts are fine folks, but I don't think their claim of being the oldest, continually operating Buick dealership is correct. Garber Buick in Saginaw, Michigan was one of the original Buick factory distributors, and has been operating as a Buick dealership for over 105 years. Covert Buick in Austin, Texas has been a Buick dealership for over 100 years, still owned and operated by the same family.

Pete Phillips

• Like 3

My father was employed by Covert Buick in AUSTIN, TX. for years and years, after he sold his dealership.

He was an award winning employee, valued by the Covert family, I visit the dealership several times.

At that time the dealership was right downtown.

Dale in Indy 

22 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

Nice web site, and the Bennetts are fine folks, but I don't think their claim of being the oldest, continually operating Buick dealership is correct. Garber Buick in Saginaw, Michigan was one of the original Buick factory distributors, and has been operating as a Buick dealership for over 105 years. Covert Buick in Austin, Texas has been a Buick dealership for over 100 years, still owned and operated by the same family.

Pete Phillips

My understanding is that Garber was actually signed as a Buick distributor by Billy Durant and was the last Buick distributor.

It is still in operation and I believe by the family.

Has anyone ever noticed that and good topic can the ruined by droning comments about some fairly trivial detail. I see it on forums and at car shows all the time. It does make those days when I sit alone in my yard with one or two of my old cars in the shade seem a lot nicer, though.

We have a Garber store near Rochester, New York, for what it's worth. I've never been there. It just looks like another multi-brand carnival to me; a place where the only relationship between the salesman and the Garber family is that both are bipeds.

Jim, who runs the Bennett store now, was brought home from the hospital in a new 1960 Buick with Bennett dealer plates on it.

That counter in the picture is where they handed me the last NOS wood wheel horn bar from GM stock in 1981.

In June the Finger Lakes Chapter of the BCA voted to continue sponsoring the Guy Bennett Senior Award at National meets.

Guy Sr. used to be in the showroom every day right up to the turn of this century. My wife and I pulled up in front of the showroom around 1999 or so with a shiny blue Cadillac. Guy Sr. said "Nice looking car. That's a 1967. Where are you from." "Brockport." He replied "Oh. I have a car from Brockport in the back room." and he took us through the big wooden doors to see a nice '67 or '68 full size car with low miles. He got in a little trouble for going back there, but he liked showing off the cars.

Stopping in today, there's a chance you might run into Guy Jr. He has been there just about every day since he got out of the service in time to start selling '53 Skylarks.

I don't ride around that neck of the woods often enough.

Bernie