55 Door Sill Plate restoration

KAD36

Looking for cost effective ways to restore the door sill plates on my 2 door hardtop.  The screw holes have been elongated and blown out, and there are large scrapes of metal gouged out of parts of the panel where at one time a sagging door allowed the welds at the bottom of the door to chew up the aluminum. Will take more than a polish to get these right. Can new aluminum be welded in?  Any ideas/experience appreciated.

thanks

Sure, new metal could be welded in, but cost would be more than replacements.  When restoring my 1st 55 there were no replacements and I used some aluminum repair rod with propane torch (we have all seen the demos at swap meets).  After finishing the profile and buffing it looked good until the repair area tarnished....rebuffed and clear coated and it still is presentable.  Just be advised that there is a steep learning curve if considering the aluminum repair rod!

ALVIN PRODUCTS has filler material that can be power coated.  You can probably find a power coat color close to aluminum or any color you want.

Willie

Thanks for the ideas. Have only seen them a few times on eBay for the 2 door hardtop.

There is a local fabricator in town, maybe will have them look at it.  This needs to marinate for a little longer.....

Thanks for the leads - will follow up and try to figure this out.

Adam - thanks for the CARS listing.  I got my engine mounts there and somehow missed seeing the listing,  Are you still doing stainless polishing - oops - just saw your site.  DOH

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)