Need '67 Brake Booster data

PWB

All,

I'd like to replace a '67 brake booster. Anyone have a part # and source for most accurate to original?

And finish? The most I've seen on lowest mileage cars have a black paint finish. I see zinc available but not sure if correct.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

I would suggest sending your original out for rebuild. Aftermarket quality has been spotty on over the counter units and you may get one that fits and functions but it may not look exactly the same if that is important to you.

67 Delco Moraine boosters were positively gold cadmium plated originally. Now commonly known as yellow zinc dichromate. Due to the hazardous cadmium, very few platers still do actual gold cad. The master cylinder body is cast color and the lid is gold cad.

Paul

As Jason says, the guys at Dewey Booster rebuilt my vac booster, then had it "coated" or "dipped"- I forget the exact terminology. They assured me gold was correct, and I asked them what else should be gold. They said not to forget the cap on the brake fluid resevoir, and then Dewey said "send me your hood latch too". 

You can buy tose res caps but they look cheap/inconsistent, as do the Delco Moraine rebuilds, in my opinion. Kind of like costume jewelry. They reflect and pick up a lot of different colors- I'm sure you've seen them at car shows. Some like them- I don't. I'm real happy with Dewey's work and they are very reasonable.

IMG_6799.JPG

IMG_6888.JPG

Oh man!  That's one clean motor. You could eat off that thing. :P

I just got light gold paint for the hood latch - but now I got to do the right thing.

And this is the second time I've seen a breather/oil cap.

Mine is not a breather. So what's original on '67 oil caps???

Thanks all

PWB, I'll bet that yours has an oil cap because your car originally came from California, which required a closed crankcase/PCV system.  The other 49 states (like mine) got a breather cap.

Paul

One of the many good tips I've got from the members of ROA is regarding painting and detailing; when working around the engine compartment, the best way to mask? Use tin foil. It molds itself around anything with little effort/ quick, easy, simple to remove. Just remember to disconnect the battery. My engine has never been removed, but when my friend did the timing chain, I cleaned up what I could, wherever I could reach. You'll learn the many shades of black paint ( flat, semi flat, satin, semi gloss, gloss) and probably a few more. You'll see what works best re cleaning ( Simple Green or Spray Nine) and start to save your old toothbrushes. Some spray paints have an adjustable nozzle and you'd be amazed how soon you become a marksman, re spraying only what you want to hit. And always keep a wet rag nearby, to erase your mistakes quickly. Sometimes a rag soaked in solvent like lacquer thinner. I found it peaceful and almost theraputic, painting the wiper motor with a combination of small brushes and q-tips. And lots of masking. And about 2 weeks of after dinner work in the garage, nice and peaceful, like I said. 

Getting back to the gold plating, call Dewey. He's the man, and the cost is really reasonable.