Solar Carbide Generator info. needed

alsfarms

I need some education on brass Solar headlights and the associated carbide generators.  Did the Solar company build and market a carbide generator in house or did they supply this item from other companies?  I do not recall seeing any Solar brand carbide generators.  I have a nice set of Solar lights, to go on a project, and would like to have a matching MFG. generator if possible.  Does anyone have any Solar literature and share a copy of information that relates to carbide generators?  Help and advice is sought on this subject.

Al

Welding gas companies used to sell small tanks of acetylene for this purpose. You may have seen them on old cars. A cylindrical brass tank about the size of a sub sandwich. Don't know if they are still available or if old ones can be refilled but might be worth looking into. A tank of gas is much better easier and more reliable than carbide and water.

I would consider getting a modern tank in the smallest size, and making a brass housing for it. I wouldn't consider using a carbide generator.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Hello Rusty,  Yes, I am aware of the small Acet. bottles.  I have used them meany times while working win the trades.  However, whether I actually use the Carbide generator or not, I do want a proper generator on the side of my car.  Do you have any experience with Solar carbide generators?

Al

I looked into carbide generators for welding years ago and talked the matter over with experienced welders who had used them. All advised me to forget the idea. Welding tanks are easier to use, more convenient, and safer. I can see the appeal of gas lamps for a brass car, but would use the acetylene tank. For safety and convenience if no other reason.

Just stumbled on this photo of a car in the teens or twenties with acetylene gas cylinder and gas lamps. Car is from the teens but obviously quite "second hand" in this photo. Courtesy Old Motor.http://theoldmotor.com/?p=157673

Acetylene tank looks the same as the ones they make today.

Tom Dick and Harrys Gow Job I

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

• 2 years later...