things to look for

jeffery

Boy, that's a tough and almost impossible question to answer! It would depend a lot on the individual vehicle that you're looking to purchase. Apparently you are not familiar with Model "A's" so my advice to you would be to check to see if there is a local Model A Ford club or a local AACA club near you. If so, contact them and ask if there is anyone in that club who would look at the car with you. Then they could pick out any obvious problems with that particular car. Model "A's" do have several inherent problems, but none so major to shy away from buying one. i think the worst problem is the fact that they suffer from weak original fan blades which can crack at the hub and fly apart with no warning. If using an original fan, and I did, one must keep an eye out for cracks and signs of breakage. Another problem can be a sticking electrical cutout. My cutout would stick constantly, so I made it a habit to check the ammeter every time i shut it down to see if the needle went back to 0. If not, a slight tap on the starter rod would release it. I missed a couple of  times earl y on and ended up with a dead battery!A Model "A" will run with more problems than any other car that I know of and they are a fun car to drive. Problem is that you never really know what you're getting when you buy one. Many cars out there are not "restored" or repaired correctly and may have brake, fuel, or electrical issues so be diligent in your purchase unless you intend to restore it yourself! Good luck!

Good advice above, also drive a couple or at least get a ride in a couple if you can, especially if you are not sure what to expect.  Not super challenging to master, but very different from a postwar or even late 30s driving experience.  Non synchro shift, mechanical brakes (even excellent) and the start/timing adjustment procedure come to mind as little differences that add up - knowing what to expect will help you assess the car correctly.  Agree that, barring a major issue like an internal engine issue these are among the easiest to work on and most inexpensive prewar cars one can own, and in the event of a major issue even that is relatively inexpensive.  Good luck with your search!

It has been my experience that Model As are the ideal starter car for the hobby and for many, they're so endearing that they keep them forever. I think every collection should have one, and most of my fondest childhood memories were formed in the rumble seat of a 1930 deluxe roadster.

That said, my experience as a collector and later as a dealer says that a vast majority of Model As are badly neglected, poorly restored, and rife with problems. Few, if any, people remember how they drove when they were new, so when they shake, rattle, and stutter on the road, they figure that's just because they're old and crude. If they're unreliable, they figure all old cars are unreliable. None of those things are true. A good Model A will be smooth, comfortable, and reasonably quick. It won't be unreliable, it will be as reliable as an anvil. Braking will be poor by modern standards, but it will be smooth and firm and predictable. It should not overheat, it should not get fussy when it's warm. Clutch action should not chatter and yes, you'll have to double-clutch, but the transmission should shift cleanly when you do. Steering should not wobble, nor should the wheels vibrate. Once you drive a properly restored one, you'll see the difference, because most of them are really spooky. That's a shame.

The last four Model As I've sold have had gas tank problems. The gas tank is integral with the cowl, and in most cases, is difficult to remove and send out to be cleaned and sealed, especially on a car that has already been painted. As a result, they fill up with rust and crud and never get cleaned out properly because the job is just awful. So look at the glass sediment bowl on the firewall and make sure it's clean and clear. If the bowl is cast iron, maybe pull the gas line off the carb and run some into a glass jar or even a paper cup just to be sure it's pulling clean gas from the tank. I've had so many Model As act up, usually like they're running out of gas or the float is stuck or the jets are gummed up, all because the tank was full of trash. The last one we cleaned out, we ended up removing about 1/2 a large coffee can worth of debris. What a mess.

So don't assume that it drives badly because it's old. Assume it drives badly because someone didn't know what they were doing.

• Like 2

Matt's right, many are just poor cars. After restoring my p/u, I could take it anywhere, anytime. We took many trips of over 200 miles a day with no problems but at speeds between 45-55. They are not fast but they are reliable if taken care of properly. I did experience the tank leak at the column, an inherited trait until '31 when they eliminated the tank mounted column support. It just kinda seeped a little so I kept a rag around it. This leak is very difficult to repair so I opted to live with it. In any case, with whatever car you purchase, you will have a problem from time to time, so I advise that you pick up as many of the good publications that are available about the "A" and study up so you are prepared for problems when they arise. There is a 5 volume publication on how to restore the Model "A" which has many tips  and a great deal of info on repairs. All these books are available from all of the Model "A" parts houses. Good luck and happy motoring!

• Like 1

Agree with Matt also - - if you want a R/S coupe, and are reasonably patient, it is not going to take that that long.  Just don't be afraid of a little sorting -  a lot of these cars that come on the market have been unused for a number of years as the owners get up in age.  Yeah, cleaning crud out of the gas tank is kind of a pain, but can be done with minimal skills and some patience.  I drained/flushed/replaced shut off valve in mine in a couple hours last fall, Something I would do if you get a car that has been sitting, actually easier on these than a lot of cars, just a bit messy -  definitely a rubber gloves job or your hands will smell a little funky for a day or so...

Jeffery. you might consider the A coupe "JFranklin" - a long time poster here and I believe on Fordbarn listed for a friend's widow.  Long term ownership, well taken care of/restoration work done sounds like quality work, and reasonable price not to mention good colors - you might have a winner there.  Wanted to be sure you saw it at least.

• 6 months later...
Guest Ross Blankert

I had a 1929 Ford Model A Fordor Murray edition in Washington state. I had it so reliable that I took it to and from work in most all kinds of weather. Then I sold it because I moved to Panama.  Big mistake.  There are only a handful of old cars in Panama.   I bellyached about it for the longest time and finally my wife said buy another one.  But I said there are no Model As for sale here.  She Ebay'd me a 1930 Ford Model A fordoor  murray editon.  Sight unseen for 6000 bucks.  It cost me 4000 to get it here and pay taxes etc.  I am restoring her a little at a time.  Parts you can get off the net.  Much of it is simply reading and studying and rewiring and sometimes rebuilding.  If you want it all original, it is a bit more difficult.  With mine it is impossible.  They welding a steel top in place of the original which is why I got my cheap.  You can't make it original.    

I want people to know why I bought it and what I want to do with it.  The folks here may have never seen one. It is special.  I am going to make it the wedding car in Boquete Panama.  The happy couple leaves the church and gets into the old car and we all ride around and blow the horn.  No money to me.  The payment is I get to show off my car.  They have to buy food for the poor and give it to the church to distribute.  The poorest eat, the church gets to hand out food, the couple gets to take pictures, and I get to show off.  All wins.    Whatever you do, don't just hide it in your garage and not take it out except for a parade once a year.  Okay?  

DSC01147.JPG

I always say that there is more genius in a Model A Ford than in almost any other car. Not an ounce of fat on an A. Each part is designed to do its job and nothing more. Now I'm a Packard guy, cut me and I bleed Packard engine green, but if tasked to drive a typical unrestored antique car coast to coast I would feel more confident in successfully making the trip in an A than in most other cars, Classics or otherwise.