Wooden spoke wheels

Guest imoore

Guest imoore

Hey guys.

So I am restoring a 28 plymouth tourer. What are people using on the wheel spokes. To protect the timber from the elements while still allowing the timber to breathe. 

Whats the best method approach to dismantling the wheel. Or should I just mask up and paint rims and hub then coat wood together.

Ian

Ian , DO NOT DISMANTLE ! Here you see the original , but refinished wheels on my 1924 Cadillac. Also a new set made in order to  store and preserve the original wheels on my 1927 Cadillac. The spokes are finished with Urethane marine spar varnish. It has held up  very well. If your spokes are solid and tight , just mask , etc. if anything is questionable , off to see the wheelwright.  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Carl, is correct, do not take the wheels apart unless the spoke ends are bad/rotten.  Even then I would take it to a wheelwright to be professionally restored.

I have painted wheels on my 23 McLaughlin Buick, they were restored probably 20 years ago.  No cracking and still solid.

I have original wheels on my 28 Buick, they are original.  Every couple of years I put tung oil on them.   They were originally varnished, but it had long wore off.  So I did a light re-staining and put on the oil for a shiny look.  The finish does go dull after a couple of years.  Or you can use marine spar varnish as suggested for a longer life. 

P1050536.JPG

P1050541.JPG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scampin71 said:

Help !! 1929 Desoto rear wheels seized on axle tried everything need to change brake piston.

You first need to adjust the brake shoes away from the drum. Then pull the drums with the correct puller. If you have wood spokes, a threaded puller is needed. If wire spokes, a three-legged puller that mounts to the studs is needed.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imoore

Thanks guys.

What method do you think I should do to remove the current paint that is on them. Some sort of blasting compound or just persist with a sand paper

Ian

Guest richentee

Citristrip paint remover, good gloves, a well-aired space, plastic scrapers, then sandpaper.  

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, DFeeney said:

Hello,  I have a set of 6 20" Chrysler/Plymouth wire wheels  for this car with lock rings for sale  $600  U.S. Dollars  I also have a Q touring,  thanks,  Don in  Ohio USA

If you are offering them to imoore, he was last here on 27 May 2016. You need to p.m. him or quote something of his so a p.m. is sent. Hover over his handle and a box will show, telling you this.