322 nailhead bell housing & flywheel

Guest Chuck56R

Guest Chuck56R

Need a manual trans bell housing and flywheel for a 322 nailhead.  Please respond here and email at pnc.1982@yahoo.com. Thanks Paul

Guest Chuck56R
2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

So you have the tranmission already, and it is a 6 bolt top? I likely have what you are looking for, will try and dig in my pile tomorrow.

the only one I see on Russels site is for a 5 bolt tranny / 264 engine

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-pf0q3mtUtZQ/UEKTfiKP5ZI/AAAAAAAAA5U/f8EIWD9nluoviydhOppH2b29i8_nC1uxQCHM/s640/2004-01-01%2B00.00.07%2B%25282%2529.jpg

I have a good running 322 nailhead that came out of my '55 Super.  I'll be using a late 60's or early 70's Saginaw 3 speed so I'll have to do some machine work on the bell housing to match the trans bearing retainer. Thanks for the help. 

Guest Chuck56R

Mr Earl, when you say 5 vs 6 bolt tranny are you talking original mid 50's Buick 3 speeds for the torque tube differential?  The bell housing pictured in the reply above looks very close to the later Saginaw bolt pattern for an open drive line.  Is the bellhousing to engine bolt pattern the same for 264/322?  Again, thanks for your time and the information. 

37 minutes ago, Chuck56R said:

Mr Earl, when you say 5 vs 6 bolt tranny are you talking original mid 50's Buick 3 speeds for the torque tube differential?  The bell housing pictured in the reply above looks very close to the later Saginaw bolt pattern for an open drive line.  Is the bellhousing to engine bolt pattern the same for 264/322?  Again, thanks for your time and the information. 

Yes and yes and you're welcome.

Search Offenhauser adapters to find something like this:  CLICK

I adapted an early ford transmission to a 264 with a different adapter, used Buick flywheel drilled for ford clutch, bought pilot bearing adapter from Russ Martin.   If you are going to modify maybe start with the Offy adapter?

• Like 1

Guest Chuck56R
On 4/25/2016 at 9:43 AM, old-tank said:

Search Offenhauser adapters to find something like this:  CLICK

I adapted an early ford transmission to a 264 with a different adapter, used Buick flywheel drilled for ford clutch, bought pilot bearing adapter from Russ Martin.   If you are going to modify maybe start with the Offy adapter?

Thanks for the info.  Looked at the Offy adapters, found several for 322 to Ford transmission but nothing for a 322 to GM trans.  I think it's going to be easier for my application to modify a 264 bell housing than stack the Offy to Ford to GM adapters.  I found some information that says that the 4 bolt pattern on the 264 bell housing is very close to the GM saginaw 3 speed, might need to drill and tap the 2 lower holes on the bell housing and slot the upper mounting holes on the saginaw trans ears slightly to get everything to bolt up.  I think half the fun of "Cool" when it comes to using an old Nailhead and a mix matched drive train is scrounging the parts and getting it all to roll down the road together!!

Guest Chuck56R

Thanks for the info.  Looked at the Offy adapters, found several for 322 to Ford transmission but nothing for a 322 to GM trans.  I think it's going to be easier for my application to modify a 264 bell housing than stack the Offy to Ford to GM adapters.  I found some information that says that the 4 bolt pattern on the 264 bell housing is very close to the GM saginaw 3 speed, might need to drill and tap the 2 lower holes on the bell housing and slot the upper mounting holes on the saginaw trans ears slightly to get everything to bolt up.  I think half the fun of "Cool" when it comes to using an old Nailhead and a mix matched drive train is scrounging the parts and getting it all to roll down the road together!!

On 4/25/2016 at 7:00 PM, Chuck56R said:

Need a manual trans bell housing and flywheel for a 322 nailhead.  Please respond here and email at pnc.1982@yahoo.com. Thanks Paul

Maybe one like this would work for ya?IMG_20160427_142037.jpg

16 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

I already suggested a bulletproof six bolt to him Greg, I think he is stuck on a 60s Saginaw , something about parts availability :wacko:  With a 6 bolt he wouldn't need parts eh? And besides why do you need parts if you know how to drive a stick. Just jerkin your chain Chuck, jus jerkin ya chain:D 

the tail on that one looks short Greg, what is it out of? 

Guest Chuck56R
3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I already suggested a bulletproof six bolt to him Greg, I think he is stuck on a 60s Saginaw , something about parts availability :wacko:  With a 6 bolt he wouldn't need parts eh? And besides why do you need parts if you know how to drive a stick. Just jerkin your chain Chuck, jus jerkin ya chain:D 

the tail on that one looks short Greg, what is it out of? 

20 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

I like the look of this trans, already setup for an open drive line.  Educate me, is it compatible with a standard GM slip yoke or is it a Buick or BOP specific item?  I have 2 saginaws now and was planning on a simple bearings, syncro's, & seals refresh on one of them which is about $100 in parts.  Let me know how much you want for this box and I may have to consider a chnage in direction.

Guest Chuck56R
1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

See anythin ya need image.jpeg

Yes Please!!  Wow, we gotta talk soon - let me know what you want for a 264 bell housing and 322 flywheel.  I already have a stock 1950 Chev truck 3 speed column shifter with the shift linkage(s) that I think I can modify to work.  I might need to reconsider the saginaw vs. Buick 3 speed, better for the occasional burnout.....

Guest Chuck56R
1 minute ago, Chuck56R said:

Yes Please!!  Wow, we gotta talk soon - let me know what you want for a 264 bell housing and 322 flywheel.  I already have a stock 1950 Chev truck 3 speed column shifter with the shift linkage(s) that I think I can modify to work.  I might need to reconsider the saginaw vs. Buick 3 speed, better for the occasional burnout.....

Oh yea, to respond to your earlier post; If you can't find 'em, grind 'em!!  What's the fun of owning something that doesn't see an occasional clutch dump in the greater pursuit of blowing the doors off of one of those little rice rocket tuner cars.

It's kinda like cruising in the mid-70's with an M21 Muncie behind a big block Chev (or Buick GS, or Olds W30, or Pontiac HO), it's not a matter of if but when it's gonna leave a pile of parts and a puddle where the trans used to be!!  I may need to graduate to the Buick "M22 Rock Crusher" 3 speed!!

I already put your name on them, (but don't feel at all obligated, you just figure out just which direction you're going)  after all it was due to your and my mutual interest in these old school 3 speed parts that got me to drag them off the shelf of the barn and get them out here so someone can enjoy them.

Believe me I have ground a few, mostly old Chevy Muncies and never thought twice about chancing a blown clutch if it meant beating a Ford or Dodge or Olds or Pontiac or Plymouth. Remind me to tell you the story though of when a 4 door Century beat me in my 57 Chevy in a half mile run.... a life changing event for sure. 

I need to be looking into what these pieces are worth these days. I paid too much for some, got some deals on others and was even given a couple. I just want them to be appreciated for what they are and USED. So no big hurry.

13 hours ago, Chuck56R said:

I like the look of this trans, already setup for an open drive line.  Educate me, is it compatible with a standard GM slip yoke or is it a Buick or BOP specific item?  I have 2 saginaws now and was planning on a simple bearings, syncro's, & seals refresh on one of them which is about $100 in parts.  Let me know how much you want for this box and I may have to consider a chnage in direction.

These are Pontiac\Olds. The only tuff stick GM had was made by Buick that had a "modular" use. The bean counters didn't want complete rengineering of trans for each devision, so they used the Buick made case and made adj to tailshafts to accommodate but the bolt up pattern to the trans was the same for Buick, Olds,'50-up to60? Pontiac 54-58? Cadd had their own pattern till the last stick I think '53 then auto only. Details in my Hollander Interchange manuals, so I sorta try to remember the details. Those trans did have their changes however, in 57 Buick beefed up the stick for the larger 364 engine that they brought out that year. Many of the gears sets interchange throughout the different years. I'm going to photo an article from hot rod that says big sticks for all cars. From the mid fifties, the article is about a guy who started using the big Buick trans and modifying it for the dragstrip folks. Coming soon to a forum near you!

Greetings 

Here's a teaser about using big Buick sticks lemme know if enuff interest to print rest, four pages with photos and instructions. Where should it be posted?IMG_20160430_173953.jpgIMG_20160430_174042.jpg

Guest Chuck56R

2Carb40, great information on the Cadillac / LaSalle gear boxes.  Having an old Cadillac 3 speed in my project truck would be amazing, both for performance, cool factor, and being able out BS the rest of the Rat Rod/Patina crowd!!

To shift topics a bit, I have a line on a T85 3 speed out of an early 60's Pontiac, anybody know anything about these?  Supposed to be very strong and helical cut gears so quiet too. 

Guest Chuck56R
On April 29, 2016 at 8:34 PM, MrEarl said:

I already put your name on them, (but don't feel at all obligated, you just figure out just which direction you're going)  after all it was due to your and my mutual interest in these old school 3 speed parts that got me to drag them off the shelf of the barn and get them out here so someone can enjoy them.

Believe me I have ground a few, mostly old Chevy Muncies and never thought twice about chancing a blown clutch if it meant beating a Ford or Dodge or Olds or Pontiac or Plymouth. Remind me to tell you the story though of when a 4 door Century beat me in my 57 Chevy in a half mile run.... a life changing event for sure. 

I need to be looking into what these pieces are worth these days. I paid too much for some, got some deals on others and was even given a couple. I just want them to be appreciated for what they are and USED. So no big hurry.

Mr Earl, thanks for working with me on the  bell housing and flywheel.  Had a large family gathering at my place over the weekend so not much happened with the 322 removal from the 56R. I'm still quite sure I want to put a 3 speed in my old pickup, I found an early 60's Warner T85 3 speed last week out of a Pontiac (one of my swapping buddies was holding out on me) supposed to be very strong and helical cut gears so pretty quiet too. Do you know anything about the T85?

20 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

That article looks very interesting.  Can we find a way to get it larger to read?

Greetings 

After copying the article for reference, I figured it would be a challenge to read when I saw it online, but also did not know if any interest would follow. The best of Hot Rod was my source, but I could virtually fill in the blanks as I reread it a number of times wanting to have memorized it for my forays searching for Buick stick stuff. Have plenty now both floor and top shifter, but now having trouble lifting one! Maybe someone with the original article in a magazine could post a better version that would lend itself to printing from this site.