Elite Mfg. Co. Ashland Ohio. Model No. 15 JACK

LAS VEGAS DAVE

The original '38 Buick jack was an accident looking for a place to happen. I'd never actually use one. They are very hard to find (probably thrown away after their first use).

I think it was designed by the folks who also designed the automatic choke on those cars.

The original jacks are discussed in the old Torque Tubes.

I would like to have one than for no other reason then to say I have an original jack. I realize its a personality defect but I've become used to it.  Would probably never use it as I usually have Triple A or some other similar card. They will come out and change the tire as long as you have a spare. I like finding the original stuff if possible but I think it may only be a treasure in my mind.

I don't think that the ebay jack is the correct one for your car. I have read a discussion somewhere that explained the different jacks used by Buick in 1936,37,38, 39, and probably some other years as well. It was probably either on this forum or in an old Torque Tube Issue. I really need to find that again. I too want an original jack for my old Buick. From memory the 1937 and 1938 were totally different but I don't remember the details. Hopefully someone will chime in with some photos and descriptions, or some links to the details online somewhere. 

I found one of the things that I had read before on this subject. If you check out page 20 of this old issue of the Torque Tube, it gives some information on 1937 and 1938 Buick Jacks.

http://www.1937and1938buicks.com/The-Torque-Tube/Volume%20XVI%20Issue%204%20(March-April%201998).pdf

I think I may need to research this issue some more and publish an article on 1936-1938 Buick Jacks in the Torque Tube II. If anybody has any information on this subject that they want to contribute, let me know.

Thanks Matt; the Torque Tube page 18 you posted shows a drawing of the jack I mistakenly used to change a tire on my 38 Special. 

By the way, it didn't raise the car high enough to install the inflated spare either....  I removed the flat tire OK, but had to lower the car with a block under it so I could add another block under the flimsy jack base to get it high enough to install the inflated spare.

I now carry another safer jack...

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)