Further to My Odd Paint Code 1964

hermanangus

Well I have been doing some more research, and digging around the car trying to figure out what the SCO 78-48 paint code may be on my car. I know that it would appear to be a two tone paint job, and the trunk/door jamb seems to be one colour, and the paint showing under the re-spray on the roof appears to be another, what does the group think about the possibility of a two tone car coming out of the factory with a 1953 Buick Mandarin Red(78) lower body, and a 1957 Cadillac Dusty Rose(48) Upper body. Please see pics(not great) and give me your thoughts.

PS for people looking for colours and codes, I found this site helpful, it lets you be very specific with your search, and even links to Google searches etc.     paintref.com

002.JPG

019 - Copy.JPG

020 (3).JPG

Remember reading about a girl reminiscing about her families 1938 Pontiac. When they bought a new one in 54, her father had it painted in her high school colours. ( whatever they were). So quite possible it was a factory special order for someone who wanted those colours.

And used cars were often given a face lift with two tone, stripes and other bits if they were a Plain Jane model  Good luck with your research.

If the paint code is part of the data plate on the firewall, I think that concentration needs to be paid to a special factory paint job.  A  used car dealer couldn't/wouldn't alter a data plate.  Research is the key here.

Ed

Good luck with your search, I have been trying to find what the code on my SCO '72 GS means for several years and still don't have a definitive answer. Obviously with the SCO on the body plate it was a special ordered color from the factory, and from what I've found the numbers may not really mean anything?

055.JPG

Sorry I can't help more, just thought I would share the difficulty you might run into.

39 minutes ago, Rivman said:

Good luck with your search, I have been trying to find what the code on my SCO '72 GS means for several years and still don't have a definitive answer. Obviously with the SCO on the body plate it was a special ordered color from the factory, and from what I've found the numbers may not really mean anything?

055.JPG

Sorry I can't help more, just thought I would share the difficulty you might run into.

Randall,

My guess is the three digit number on your plate is actually an SCO job number and not an actual paint number. To determine the actual paint code one would need a copy of the SCO order. Isnt your car a powder blue color? I was looking at the `70 dealer book a few days ago and there was a powder blue color called Azure Blue. The "A" may signify a colored roof, my guess would be black or white.

Tom

2 hours ago, hermanangus said:

Well I have been doing some more research, and digging around the car trying to figure out what the SCO 78-48 paint code may be on my car. I know that it would appear to be a two tone paint job, and the trunk/door jamb seems to be one colour, and the paint showing under the re-spray on the roof appears to be another, what does the group think about the possibility of a two tone car coming out of the factory with a 1953 Buick Mandarin Red(78) lower body, and a 1957 Cadillac Dusty Rose(48) Upper body. Please see pics(not great) and give me your thoughts.

PS for people looking for colours and codes, I found this site helpful, it lets you be very specific with your search, and even links to Google searches etc.     paintref.com

002.JPG

019 - Copy.JPG

020 (3).JPG

Kevin,

Remove the rear package shelf and you should see the original color unexposed to u-v light. That will give you a true color if the overspray is heavy enough.

Tom

Hey Tom,

the thing is I am pretty confident that the colour on the end of the doors and in the trunk is the original colour, at least on the lower body. The problem I'm having trying to equate that colour(or colours) to my body tag, and trying to decide if it was  a two tone car or not. Maybe I will get lucky and find a build sheet somewhere.

46 minutes ago, hermanangus said:

Maybe I will get lucky and find a build sheet somewhere.

If you're that lucky, you should go out and purchase only one lottery ticket, then buy your own island in the Caribbean.  You could then buy as many Rivieras - or Tesla, or Bugattis, or Lamborghinis that you had room for.  Put on a full time mechanic and a full time bartender.

2 hours ago, hermanangus said:

Hey Tom,

the thing is I am pretty confident that the colour on the end of the doors and in the trunk is the original colour, at least on the lower body. The problem I'm having trying to equate that colour(or colours) to my body tag, and trying to decide if it was  a two tone car or not. Maybe I will get lucky and find a build sheet somewhere.

Pull the sail panel base moldings. They are easy to remove and may reveal both the original lower and upper color side by side.

Tom

OK Riviera People: I recently sold a 66 GTO for a friend.  The number's matching, something I find quite meaningless, is very meaningful to some. In this case there was one character different from the block stamping sequence than the number that was stamped on the aluminum embossment strip on the back page of the warranty booklet.  The prospect was so anal, he didn't trust he discrepancy yet all the other numbers and documentation (verified by a GTO expert) added up to the fact that there very well could have been a typo in the embossment strip.

In your case it's the data plate.  My question, could it be a typo from the factory?   Mitch

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mitch, I am going to guess that the SCO is correct, and I am definitely leaning towards the 1953 Buick Mandarin(maybe iridescent) red colour. The 78 may be some sort of order number. I haven't pulled any interior yet, but looking at the trunk, and behind some lights its seems like a good bet. I may never have a definitive answer, so I will have to make a decision about what I'm going do when it comes time to paint. 1 One of the Stock colours 2 What I think was the original colour or 3 an updated Black Cherry Metallic :)   Decisions, decisions,.......