Where do I go for some GOOD vacuum wiper motor rebuild info???

John_Mc

Guys, I have a '37 Zephyr with a Trico vacuum wiper motor that I want to rebuild properly.  I've taken it apart and cleaned everything and can see no reason why the arm coming out of the motor barley move when I'm pulling over 20 in of vacuum.  My issue might be in the control valves, but I can't seem to find anybody, including YouTube, that shows a thorough and proper rebuild.  Can anyone help????  Thanks in advance and no I do not want to go electric and no I don't need the name of a rebuilder. 

Anything that restricts or allows loss of vacuum causes problems as well as any warpage in the vacuum chamber. Of course everything has to be free to move and lightly lubed. There are wiper rebuilders that can do the job if the core is ok. Not everything can be found online but if you find what you are looking for share it here.

The entire housing could be warped with age.  I had had my Trico motor rebuilt by Ficken (wiperman) twice over the previous 35 years but it had gotten cranky again, so I sent it to him for a rebuild.  This time, he told me that it was impossible to rebuild because the pot metal had warped.  I was in despair until I checked Ebay, only to find a NOS motor still in the box for a paltry $45.  It worked like a champ!

I'm not exactly sure how to check the housing for "warpedness", though....

33 minutes ago, Jon37 said:

The entire housing could be warped with age.  I had had my Trico motor rebuilt by Ficken (wiperman) twice over the previous 35 years but it had gotten cranky again, so I sent it to him for a rebuild.  This time, he told me that it was impossible to rebuild because the pot metal had warped.  I was in despair until I checked Ebay, only to find a NOS motor still in the box for a paltry $45.  It worked like a champ!

I'm not exactly sure how to check the housing for "warpedness", though....

That is when you call Kent. When the going gets tough the tough get going.

I use my car as my daily driver for about a thousand miles a month. Clean Sweep did my wiper motor 25 years ago.  It still works like new

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:26 AM, Curti said:

Before you send your wiper motor out, talk to Kent.

Kent Jaquith summer (Clean Sweep) 2633 SW Obsidian Ave. #15 Redmond OR 97756 541-548-1010 Kent cell 541-923-4319  wiper motor qajk38@bendbroadband.com

I sent my wiper motor to Kent Jaquith after sending it to NY and being told it was warped and cannot be rebuilt.  Well I installed it in my Zephyr yesterday and it runs beautifully!  I could not be happier!!!!  By the way Kent is also a very interesting man to speak to and quite a character too.  Mark him down as the man who does wiper motors - great experience!!!  Thanks Kent and thanks to Curti for the information.

• Like 2