WTB Low pressure oil pressure gage

When I get back from Charlotte next week I'll look for the spare one for a '27 Chevy - I might have it, but am not sure.

I am curious to know the application of this oil gauge. That is really low. There is a low pressure sending unit when wired correctly will kill the engine if oil pressure is low. Engine will not start unless the pressure is corrected. I do not think owners of antique cars require that. The first thing he checks is oil level and then coolant.

Harry. 

Hi Marty, I stand corrected . Did I read your answer correctly, about an oil gauge for a 1927 Chevrolet ? I had a 1927 Chevrolet engine , no valve train cover and no side pan cover. To oil the engine valve train an oil can was use to soak the felt pad sitting on the valve train. The crank was splash fed. That was changed in the 1928 model. However the covers had no gasket and leaked . I am a Canadian so perhaps the U.S. models were different.

Engines still had to get oil to the main bearings so would have had some kind of pump, hence the low pressure requirement. The oil then trickled down to feed the troughs for the con-rod dippers to pick up from. The need for the oil soaked felt pads on the overhead valve gear was simply because any oil splashed from the con-rods had no way of reaching way up there.

The con-rod dippers did not pick up oil directly from the sump but from troughs directly below each cylinder. These had to be filled, some engines had "open topped gutters" cast into the side of the crankcase to collect the "splashed" oil and return it to the troughs. Some engines used jets of oil squirted directly at the dipper. 1920's British Austin sevens used this system. These were pump fed at about 5-8 psi. No matter how "good" it is there is no oil that can move itself unaided around an engine.  Some early one and two cylinder engines relied on gravity feed from a dash mounted oil-tank. These worked on a "total loss" system where any oil not burned after being splashed onto the cylinder walls simply drained out onto the road. Apart from anything else this dripped oil helped to bind the surface of dirt roads and cut down dust.

Bj.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)